2003 Ford Focus RS - sensors question ?

stevieturbo

Re: 2003 Ford Focus RS - sensors question ?

Post by stevieturbo »

Not really a lot of ( affordable ) ethanol in the UK though lol

Although the ethanol for home oil burners isnt as costly as the race fuel stuff. No idea how much difference there is between them
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

Methanol's cheap, and the way to go :mrgreen:
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

There are many ways to go...depends where you're going though ! lol
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

stevieturbo wrote:There are many ways to go...depends where you're going though ! lol
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jackstrath

Post by Jackstrath »

What's the difference between the two performance wise when mixed with petrol? I was under the assumption that both increased the ron number, I have loads of meth lying about (think about 100-150L of 99.9 stuff) as I use it in my water meth injection kit on my 335d

I also heard that adding a litre or two into the tank can give you decent knock protection but Iv never done it!
Jackstrath

Post by Jackstrath »

Evening !

Been busy working on the focus and the syvecs and plex dash

First off changed over to the Bosch temp sensors to the High reading ones. So now read oil and water temp up to 150oC
Had to play about and set up the readings, was confused with the calibration table being in ohms and not voltage like the syvecs has, tryed for ages to see if I could change it I’m syvecs but ended up stumbling on a helpful excl document. So thanks who ever made that!

First question is a weird one, and a reason for swapping at least one of the sensors, when warming up the car when the oil temp gets to about 15oC it jumps to the default/set value (in my case 120oC) doesn’t change, syvecs logs a low voltage error, I thought it was a sensor issue but it’s exactly the same with the new sensor? Turn the car on and off and it’s fine ? Doesn’t play up again untill the car is turned on the first time from
Stone cold.

Next thing is I have a water temp gauge and also a cylinder head temp sensor, I can’t seem to find a way to change the outputs (van signals)on the ecu to the plex dash? Is that something I can do? I have multiple knock outputs which is pointless when the s6 on suporsts one, it’s probably a plex question but thought I’d ask here.

Last thing is idle control valve, I currently don’t run one, but was wanting a soft anti lag in place. Do I wire it to the pin outs labelled stepper motor?

Thanks for the help
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Without seeing a log of what's happening the temperature at the time it goes wonky...no idea. It maybe is tripping some threshold somewhere.

That said, I have seen some odd behaviour on my S8 for the first 30s or so with some sensors as if maybe the 5v reference isnt correct for that period, but I have never looked into it yet.

As for the dash....exactly what are you trying to change or do ? And is van supposed to mean CAN ? Why do you want to change the outputs, and from what to what ?
The Plex instructions show the basic CAN config for the ecu, and the dash is fully configurable to receive any data.

A stepper motor requires at least 4 wires, often 6. So whilst you dont mention what type of idle valve you have...it probably isnt a stepper motor.

Also, without knowing where those wires you have labelled go to....cant say. Whoever made your loom would need to advise where they go, or you may get testing to see where they are wired to then you can decide if they may suit whatever type of idle valve you want to use.
Jackstrath

Post by Jackstrath »

yeh its odd, never mind, just a bit annoying more than anything.

yeh sorry VAN was supposed to be CAN,

Im bascily trying to get both the cylinder head temps shown on the dash, the plex dash isnt showing ECT2 on its inputs from the ECU, on the plex dash config its showing knock for all 8 cylinders , i was wondering if was possible to change one of them to the ECT2 from the syvecs, there is EGT2 on the dash, im wondering if i could change the EGT2 input to the cylinder head temp sensor and then config the setting to read the ECT sensor and use that since its already there on the plex dash.

ah sorry its not a stepper motor then, its just the standard ford idle control valve (currently dont have it plumbed or hooked up)
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Jackstrath wrote:yeh its odd, never mind, just a bit annoying more than anything.

yeh sorry VAN was supposed to be CAN,

Im bascily trying to get both the cylinder head temps shown on the dash, the plex dash isnt showing ECT2 on its inputs from the ECU, on the plex dash config its showing knock for all 8 cylinders , i was wondering if was possible to change one of them to the ECT2 from the syvecs, there is EGT2 on the dash, im wondering if i could change the EGT2 input to the cylinder head temp sensor and then config the setting to read the ECT sensor and use that since its already there on the plex dash.

ah sorry its not a stepper motor then, its just the standard ford idle control valve (currently dont have it plumbed or hooked up)
Why would you need 2 cylinder head temperatures ?

The CAN output on the ecu is fully configurable....you tell it what to send to the dash.

Likewise the CAN receive on the Plex is fully configurable...you tell it what it is to receive and how to display it.

You can change them to pretty much anything you want.

https://www.plex-tuning.com/instruction ... anual.html
Jackstrath

Post by Jackstrath »

It’s just a secondary precaution, the standard Ford cht sensor is in a dry cavity in the head, Iv had it before when a water hose burst (was pre syvecs) and the water temp basicly froze at the last temperature the water was before the hose burst and emptied its self, the cht on the ford read out was what alarmed me as it kept reading and bright a light on.
Easy to get caught up in the moment when racing and half a lap of not looking behind me to notice the steam behind me!
Il have to have a look again through the ecu settings