Which ECU for S65... F88?

jayjayjayjay

Which ECU for S65... F88?

Post by jayjayjayjay »

Hi, new here but not new to cars! :)

I have little dilemma. We run a small group of club cars, E30's in Bangkok, Thailand, pretty much as far as you can get from good racing advice. We recently purchased an BMW 2010 S65 out of a UK crashed M3. When the motor was delivered the ECU was not found. The seller failed to mention it was not part of the wiring loom included! Well, we move on. We have bought the Life Racing F88 and matching PDU, but here she get hairy. We did not realize we had chosen literally the most difficult motor on the planet as our first standalone ECU project. So we have contacted an American outfit who are offering to get us sorted, but although he is a Life Racing distributor, he would prefer we swapped out the F88 for a Pectel SQ6. So I have two questions.

1) what does the general Syvecs membership think about a swap for the SQ6?
2) I would personally like to stick with the F88, but I definitely need expertise, preferably UK based, to get a wiring loom sorted and consult on getting the S65 up and running for a track car. Recommendations?

PM me for sure to stay within forum rules etc.

Thx, JR.
tarmac terror

Re: Which ECU for S65... F88?

Post by tarmac terror »

Connecting ANY engine up to an ECU isn't difficult. It's just a case of identifying all the appropriate sensors and wiring them in. I can't see how you would gain anything by moving to Pectel SQ6....

In fact, your install will be hugely simplified in that if you are shoehorning the S65 into an E30 track car then you will only need the most basic of functions. As long as it gets a cam, crank (or even phase) sensor then that's good for the ignition and injection. Then basic water temp, throttle position and a MAF reading and your pretty much all the way there!!!
The variable cam timing should be a piece of cake on the F88 as well. An appropriate output should be capable of running it. How you map the cam timing is probably a more involved issue but not a show stopper I wouldn't have thought. There must be LOADS of S65's out there on aftermarket management

Stick with the F88.

TT
MSEL

Post by MSEL »

We have just finished tuning an F88 on the S65 engine on the dyno today and it runs fine with dual drive by wire and quad variable cam control.

We are in New Zealand and are more than happy to assist you.

To answer your questions:-
1 - look what the was the largest Pectel dealer in the US is saying about Pectel/Cosworth electronics on his own forums and at ten-tenths.com
2 - we are closer to you then the UK and have experience with this engine
jayjayjayjay

Post by jayjayjayjay »

Thanks TT, since I run a company with a couple of engineers(mechanical and electrical) under my employ I am pretty sure we can get through it, my only issue is I want to make sure we do get the best out of the S65. I'll take you post as a boost of confidence that we are not trying to plan a flight to mars. Much appreciated.
jayjayjayjay

Post by jayjayjayjay »

MSEL, I think we have real coincidence here. Jason at LR sent me an email today, and I am sure he mentioned you. He said he had just finished calibration of an F88 on an S65 with a NZ client yesterday. Please drop me a line at jeff.rowe@me.com Very much appreciate your offer of guidance. Being an Aussie myself I am not too proud to ask a brother for help. Cheers, Jeff