2003 Ford Focus RS - sensors question ?

stevieturbo

Re: 2003 Ford Focus RS - sensors question ?

Post by stevieturbo »

Shouldn't be that difficult, plenty of people do it so they can use traction control.
Jackstrath

Post by Jackstrath »

Well first off happy new year to all!

This thread has been quiet but only because everything has been working so well and iv been getting up to speed with alot of things myself!

But new year and new ideas come into the head! This one has been a WIP over the last 6 months and its starting to come together!
Not sure if you know or if iv mentioned the car before? Long story short its a Time Attack FRS, Built 2.0 zetec with around 500bhp on pump, Quaife dog box ect ect.

On going issue thats sorta troubled me for the last 10 years is gearbox's. I simply can not get a box to handle the power. And because i dont build gearbox's, the Quaife is getting rather expensive to maintain, iv replaced 3rd gear 3 times now and its a design flaw that they arnt interested in sorting as its an old box.

So hunt was on for a replacement box, looked at full sequential boxs but the money was bonkers, 15K+ Vat to give you an idea.

So iv decided to put a DSG DQ250 Gearbox in the car. Its took a chunk of custom work but its in. Iv got mounts to make but the engine is away now for a refresh so i thought id start with the wiring!

ImageM1 by J Strath, on Flickr

So Santa was good to me and iv now upgraded to the S7+ ECU

ImageA121 by J Strath, on Flickr

Now i know what your thinking with the wiring, i hate it as well... But iv never had any wiring issues, so although it looks horrible, it worked and never gave me any issues. That was my first ever ECU install and im happy to say iv learnt alot!

So that takes us up to today, Im just about to start de pinning the S6 plug, and moving things to the S7 and i have a few questions that im hoping some can answer!

First off is installing the pins? Does the white part of the connector snap out and allow me to install the pins with ease ? Or do you need a Pin tool? (if so links to some that wont bankrupt me!)

Second is the DBW set up, before i ran a H Bridge, but from what i can see this isnt needed on the S7? Is it a case of wiring the Throttle body motor controls directly into the S7?

Iv attached my current Excel doc if you could tell me what pins for that to use that would be a massive help!

Thanks again !
Attachments
S7PLUS pin change new.xlsx
(16.91 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

White bit pops across and yes the wire/pin should easily pull out.

You can also get a little small pin tool so you can push safely from the other side if needed. But any small diameter rod will suffice, as long as you're not inserting it up the inside of the pin itself, which can risk the internal springy but losing it's integrity.

You have two options for DBW.

Yes, just wire the DBW motor into one of the H bridge pairs. A2/A3, A4/A5 etc

Or you could simply leave it as is via the external box triggered via one of the outputs. Pretty much exact same as you did with the S6.

Positives ? Negatives ? not really sure.

I know some people on an S8 have had issue in the past with DBW and battery cut off switches. In that if they operate a simple cut off switch whilst the engine is running ( which let's face it, is the most likely time you'd use it other than perhaps a scrutineer checking it ), there is a risk of flyback into the ecu and damaging the on board H Bridge.
How big a problem this is, I do not know.

Modern cutoffs like the Cartek GTR, have a small time delay setup, where you send a engine enable wire to the ecu and this allows 1/2sec or so to shut down the engine, before actually fully disconnecting the battery.
Now if you have DBW enabled with "engine off".....is there still a risk ? no idea. I think most would have DBW disabled with engine off anyway.
I have an S8, I have DBW....but as yet I still never got around to a cut off switch or using one.

I don't think the S7 has the same risk attached to it. And don't know if it matters whether it's the 12v that's disconnected, or battery ground.

Obviously if you're on an external DBW box...there is zero risk to the ecu. Maybe that's a positive with just a little extra wiring, however you already have that wiring in place.

What DSG controller are you going for ? or are you going to try the onboard Syvecs control ? Seen a couple of mentions on FB with people having difficulty with that route ?

Turbo Lamik seems to be one of the more regarded systems. HTG is another, but there seem to be more people having issues, although it does appear to be a very good setup.
But both of those require re-wiring the mechatronics.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

I find it always helps to add an image of the connector to the spreadsheet for each section, and then on different sheets for each so you can print each one out, with pinout info and an image of the connector.
Jackstrath

Post by Jackstrath »

Hey Stevie!

Perfect, thanks for getting back to me!
I think il wire the DBW directly to the ECU, i run a GTR issolator so hopefully shouldnt run into any issues, im big on making sure the Scruts test the cut off with the car off anyway!

Yeh i have actually marked connector A and C as they are very simular!

I started wiring and like you said had to use a paperclip to push the Wires for the RJ45 connector in as they were to thin to get them right in and seated home!

Iv only did 20 wires today but im really taking my time with this one and trying to match all the wire lenghts so its a neat install, i had alot of extra (like 30cm worth) when i added in my varous looms over the years so its taking time trimming it all back and making it look semi respectable!
The grand plan is to have a full custom loom for the engine in the future!

Yes im going to use the on board syvecs controller, i think they all have issues but for me keeping it all in one ECU/controller made sense. I know its going to take a bit of work to get it all up and running but im hoping with my technical knowledge and mechanical skills il get a good start on it. Will be interesting but im a good bit away from that yet!
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Jackstrath wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:42 pm Hey Stevie!

Perfect, thanks for getting back to me!
I think il wire the DBW directly to the ECU, i run a GTR issolator so hopefully shouldnt run into any issues, im big on making sure the Scruts test the cut off with the car off anyway!
It's the very testing of cutout on the running car that killed the ecu I believe. Engine not running should be safe though. But as said, I think it's more the S8 that is at risk than any others for some reason
If you have the GTR, make sure you use the output to the ecu for an "engine enable" feature so it can kill the engine side of things, prior to fully disconnecting the battery/chassis ground

Pretty sure I used a thinned down welding rod to push the pins out where needed. As said, do not use anything that will go inside the pin, unless it is smaller or identical to the actual ecu pin diameter itself.

Most of the ecu map "should" import across ok. I know the boost control table works different and may need flipped/inverted for the main closed loop control table. The S6 table makes sense, the S8 does not as it's arse about face.
It will just be a case of going through everything though, and re-assigning any inputs etc

There was quite a few changes needed to be made when I went from S6 to S8, but I don't think all of them apply to an S7.
Jackstrath

Post by Jackstrath »

Hi steve,

Yeh i watched the map version change video and picked up on the boost control getting flipped.

So im 99% done with the new connectors, only thing i have to run is a switched live from the ecu and the canbus cables.

Just doing a bit of reading, it says to keep the canbus cables as a twisted pair, i know this is to cut down on interference, do you think its worth twisting my 2 can wires, heat sleeving them and then running the switched power separate?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

CAN should be twisted.

I see no need to separate it from other wires though, OEM route them in bulk harnesses and there's a lot going on with them.

But if it's easy to separate, it might be handy if only from the point of view of maybe adding to the CANbus at a later date for something. Although I'd maybe also be bringing along a 12v/gnd along with the bus, again for easy add ons later.
Jackstrath

Post by Jackstrath »

Yeh ground and live will be going along with the cam wires, I think after this il be done with the car 😂 hopefully no more wiring!

Hopefully last question, I’m adding paddles (for shifts) and need to add 2 on/off buttons for selecting drive and sport

Got one side of the buttons/paddles wired into C29-C32 what the best way to go about the other side? Ground them or supply them with 5v?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

I would usually wire all 3, 5v, signal and ground regardless. Makes it future proof.

As long as the input is configurable, doesn't really matter. You can use 5v, or ground trigger/thermistor with the internal pullup.

But wire the harness for both then you're covered either way