gear cut/shift setup H pattern using strain gage gear knob

POPWORTH

Re: gear cut/shift setup H pattern using strain gage gear knob

Post by POPWORTH »

But what if you used the sqs gearknob to instigate the shift giving you a rising voltage when operated both directions and the cable sensor was purely used as a gear location sensor to tell the ecu when it was in gear to stop the cut once the gear was reached? (both needed for closed loop) The thing with the cable sensor is that i couldnt see it being able to give all rising voltages as when you pull out the cable the voltage rises and when it retracts the voltage drops. Could you just set the voltage for each gear that it shows and use that so it knows the gear? Neutral will have its own voltage when in the neutral position as the cable will need preloading so it can work in both directions to read.
ATOMIC

Post by ATOMIC »

Neutral is any and all positions inbetween each positive gear selection.

I didn't scale the pics so thy show best either on a monitor or when saved on a tablet and then viewed.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

POPWORTH wrote:But what if you used the sqs gearknob to instigate the shift giving you a rising voltage when operated both directions and the cable sensor was purely used as a gear location sensor to tell the ecu when it was in gear to stop the cut once the gear was reached? (both needed for closed loop) The thing with the cable sensor is that i couldnt see it being able to give all rising voltages as when you pull out the cable the voltage rises and when it retracts the voltage drops. Could you just set the voltage for each gear that it shows and use that so it knows the gear? Neutral will have its own voltage when in the neutral position as the cable will need preloading so it can work in both directions to read.
yes that is how it would have to operate. The load cell or shift knob would always initiate the cut whether open or closed loop.

Neutral on the stick would have varying voltages as neutral covers an entire side-side gate as well as the sticks natural centre position.. I think if you could place the sensor/string in this sort of position relative to the stick, it should be able to give rising voltages throughout ( we could ignore reverse ). It would need played with before final installation, but I think somewhere down near 6th location should do.
I dont think the ecu will allow you to have voltages for each gear that do not follow a rising voltage pattern, as surely that would get very confusing for it and certainly no sequential system it is aimed at would ever be that way.

shift pattern.jpg
shift pattern.jpg (44.01 KiB) Viewed 7600 times
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

ATOMIC wrote:Neutral is any and all positions inbetween each positive gear selection.

I didn't scale the pics so thy show best either on a monitor or when saved on a tablet and then viewed.
Yes, but on a sequential setup with gear pot it is not. Neutral has its own dedicated voltage and will be at the lower end of the scale.

Probably not an issue here though.

as once moving and it knows you're in first moving towards 2nd etc, everything should be fine