Software defect?

TimH
JT Innovations

Software defect?

Post by TimH »

I'm running latest software under WIndows 7 64 bit. Generally works fine :)

But there is a problem. If, for example, I use SData to grab logs, then put the laptop to sleep to move myself somewhere more comfortable to view them, then wake the laptop and run SView, it claims that it can't start LifeNet server and fails to run.

If I look at what processes are running I can see SNetServer is running, but I can't kill it. The only way to get it all working again is to restart the laptop.

Is this a known issue? Any suggestions of a workaround?

Tim.
pat
Syvecs Staff - Cleaner

Re: Software defect?

Post by pat »

Tim,

it is a known issue with the Ethernet driver, which is itself a third party piece of software. The apps should intercept requests to hibernate etc and prevent the laptop from doing so when they are running, but there are occasions when they cannot prevent suspend or hibernation, eg when Windoze decides to suspend or hibernate it won't allow an app to veto that process. The solution is simple enough.... don't allow the lappy to suspend or hibernate with SNetServer running; if you know you're going to leave it a while then just close any open SSuite apps, this will shut down SNetServer too and close the Ethernet driver. Then re-load the app(s) you need when you power up again.

Cheers,

Pat.
TimH
JT Innovations

Re: Software defect?

Post by TimH »

OK - thanks Pat :)