Increasing logging capacity for endurance races

EOG

Increasing logging capacity for endurance races

Post by EOG »

Do you guys know of a way we can increase logging capacity for endurance racing?

Thank you!
stevieturbo

Re: Increasing logging capacity for endurance races

Post by stevieturbo »

And is there a clue as to what ecu ?

How much do you have ? How much do you need ? Have you really exhausted options and stretched bandwith, burst logging etc etc as much as you can ?

If really at the limit of the ecu, then external logging whether dash or other is probably only option.

Many years ago I'd enquired about a CAN/Ethernet logger to stream data to, but I don't think they ever did create one.

Or you could just stream the data to the laptop or similar PC for the duration, that would give almost infinite logging...but requires the laptop present
EOG

Post by EOG »

S7+ ECU, nothing in the Syvecs range has near enough for a several hour long endurance race.

Is there a way to stream to a laptop via full logging or would it just be via the gauges?

Thanks!
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

You can just stream to Sdata, just ensure logging is active when you choose the option, and it will log directly to your laptop just as it does the ecu.

ECU does still log, but will obviously overwrite the old data.

So as much room as you have on your HDD, you can log. Assuming there are no other interruptions like say a key off incident, or laptop throwing a wobbler.

But as said, ecu must be live and logging active otherwise it won't let you start the streaming. Play with it and see
syvecs stream.jpg
syvecs stream.jpg (19.67 KiB) Viewed 19260 times
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Or I think the D4/D5 etc dash can log to USB stick, but I don't know what format that might be saved in.

Not sure if your S7+ has he option to log to USB ? There was talk of USB logging on some of them, not sure if it ever became reality

Streaming as above, just creates log files exactly the same as it does on the ecu.
secure

Post by secure »

My solution.
bee.jpg
bee.jpg (32.66 KiB) Viewed 19234 times
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Can you get it to log automatically ? I'm sure some sort of script or program could do it ?
secure

Post by secure »

stevieturbo wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:17 am Can you get it to log automatically ? I'm sure some sort of script or program could do it ?
Yes, you can actually run the script when Windows starts but I do prefer one click button in Realdash.

Now I'm trying "wake on lan" but couldn't make it happen yet. When the ignition is on Syvecs might be sending some packages through ethernet ply. This could auto start the computer. Not sure if it must be a magic packet or not. I'll update the bios soon and see if it works.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

I guess a cool feature could be if you could integrate a simple logging off/on button to stream to the PC ?

Although I still think a native ethernet based logger would be a good thing.

I guess the USB logging never became a thing ?
secure

Post by secure »

Yep alternatively if you set the computer wake on power, a simple on/off button would do the job.

I've no headunit nor physical gauges in my car so running pc is a need for me. Voice alerts, visual alerts is good for trackdays. :)