Electronic Steering

Cayman Turbo

Electronic Steering

Post by Cayman Turbo »

Almost embarrased to ask.
Looking to drive an electric power steering pump from the Ecu but most (all) of the pre configured logic I can control the output pin with dont, wont work or I am doing something wrong.

Just want to switch to ground when the engine is running, and switch off when it's not.

Do I customise an existing Output control or or?

Cheers,
J
stevieturbo

Re: Electronic Steering

Post by stevieturbo »

What exactly have you tried so far ?

If it is literally on engine rpm, that should be very easy to activate an output based on just that.
Cayman Turbo

Post by Cayman Turbo »

Tried several of the pre programmed options:
Headlight control
Fan 5
Heated window

Activation is good i.e. fires the pump when we start engine, but it doesn't swith off. Suspect its because we're using rpm for [off] and because ignition is off by the time the rpm drops below tick over, it doesn't see the 400rpm [off] trigger so doesn't cancel the ground.

Not looking for anything complicated, just binary... engine on, pump on, engine off, pump off...
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Double post.
Last edited by stevieturbo on Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Just use a custom output, or likes of brake by wire where you can configure the parameters.

No sense trying to use a fan output, with fan parameters. They are customisable too

Although I guess if you configured a fan to be on all the time ( at all temperatures you'd ever see, albeit only when engine is running that would work too. )

But it would be nicer giving the entry that custom name to suit the intended application, and parameters to suit.

There are help videos on YouTube for custom stuff.

And obviously this would just be to trigger a relay etc...not the actual load directly
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Although you seem to be implying a different problem....

When you key off, engine dead, ECU off....you seem to imply the circuit still remains energized ?

Exactly what is the output energizing ?
Cayman Turbo

Post by Cayman Turbo »

Correct,
Suspect I need to use a different setting so the ground is cancelled when the ignition is turned off.
Interestingly the ground IS cancelled with ignition on (engine off), so the logic was working it seems.
But with Ignition off, the pin is switched to ground!?

Took a feed off the fuel pump pin in the end as it has what we need.
Works fine but we have a long way to go! Lol

Thanks for the support dude 🙏
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Typically the off state for such an output will appear as nominal battery voltage.
On state will be ground.

It sounds like you are not triggering a relay or typical device.....and it also sounds like you are leaving the device with a permanent battery feed ?
So there is some unusual feedbacks occuring holding it in an energized state when the ECU is off.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

And I would probably be inclined to make a table to power up the PAS based on both engine rpm and vehicle speed.

There may of course be instances where the engine may not be running, but vehicle in motion....and you'd probably prefer to still have PAS at those times.
Cayman Turbo

Post by Cayman Turbo »

No, it is a relay we are using, its just that the ground came back when the ignition was turned off...

If that is non standard, I'd be interested to know why my ecu acts differently to a n other. Interesting