S7Plus connect to AIM MXL Datalogger

Barrie C

S7Plus connect to AIM MXL Datalogger

Post by Barrie C »

I have a SEAT Leon Cupra Cup race car that had a SYBELE Challenger 4 ECU linked to an AIM MXL Datalogger via RS232. The Challenger ECU developed a fault and as they are sealed I have changed it for a Syvecs S7Plus ECU. This has been installed and working but we are unable to get the S7Plus to communicate with the AIM Datalogger over RS232.
AIM Infotech says to program the datalogger selecting S7 using Race Studio 3 but Race Studio 3 does not support the MXL datalogger.
Has anybody done this? Can the data stream from the S7 be modified to look like the Sybele Challenger 4 data stream?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks, Barrie...
Slowie

Re: S7Plus connect to AIM MXL Datalogger

Post by Slowie »

Hi

If it is an original MXL dash (not MXL2), you will need Race Studio 2.

To setup the datastream you need to connect the dash to CAN2 on the ECU, set Datastreams->Generic CAN Transmit->Transmit Bus to CAN2 on all items, and using Race Studio 2 change your dashboard config to use the Life Racing F88 datastream.
Barrie C

Post by Barrie C »

Hi,
Thanks for getting back to me. It is an original MXL dash (I think its the Strada kit) with Race Studio 2 software.
Can this be done over RS232 rather than via the Can Bus, would the datastream be the same? The car is fitted with a special wiring loom and it would make things a lot easier if I can use the RS232 like was used with the previous Sybele ECU.
Regards,
Barrie...
Slowie

Post by Slowie »

Hi

Yes, you can use RS232. Never used it personally on a S7. only others. If you run the S7 RS232 wire to the dash, you should be able to select either Pectel as ECU Manufacturer with T2/T6 as the ECU Model, or LIFE as the ECU Manufacturer and Stack as the ECU Model.

Then in SCAL set Datastreams -> RS232 Datastream Select to Stack.
Barrie C

Post by Barrie C »

Hi,
Thanks very much for the detailed information supplied. I have a confession to make and feel a bit silly now as I did not understand enough about the Skynam ECU and Aim MXL datalogger setup when starting this topic. It turns out that the RS232 from the ECU only goes to a connector which is used for a computer connection, not to the datalogger. The MXL datalogger for most of its input uses individual sensors and the only signal from the ECU appears to be the RPM signal so the MXL is set as "no ECU".
Sorry for the confusion. I would like to keep the setup as is without having to move to RS232 if I can.
Can you help with an extension of my issues. During rolling road setup after installing the Syvecs ECU we wired the RPM signal wire from the MXL to pin A31 (IGN 6 TTL 5v output) on the ECU but this did not work. We were short of time and the Rev Counter worked on the dashboard so it got left in pursuit of other issues. On further investigation I have now found that the MXL requires a square wave signal greater than 8v on the RPM input which may be the cause of my problem. I am going on the rolling road again soon and I was wondering if I can move the wire from A31 to A5 which I think can drive 12v ready for the session. We had not allocated A5 to anything so I was wondering if there is any output on it or is it basically open circuit until it is defined so I don't damage anything?
Sorry for the garbled message but any help is appreciated.
Barrie...
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Barrie C wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:09 pm Hi,
Thanks very much for the detailed information supplied. I have a confession to make and feel a bit silly now as I did not understand enough about the Skynam ECU and Aim MXL datalogger setup when starting this topic. It turns out that the RS232 from the ECU only goes to a connector which is used for a computer connection, not to the datalogger. The MXL datalogger for most of its input uses individual sensors and the only signal from the ECU appears to be the RPM signal so the MXL is set as "no ECU".
Sorry for the confusion. I would like to keep the setup as is without having to move to RS232 if I can.
Can you help with an extension of my issues. During rolling road setup after installing the Syvecs ECU we wired the RPM signal wire from the MXL to pin A31 (IGN 6 TTL 5v output) on the ECU but this did not work. We were short of time and the Rev Counter worked on the dashboard so it got left in pursuit of other issues. On further investigation I have now found that the MXL requires a square wave signal greater than 8v on the RPM input which may be the cause of my problem. I am going on the rolling road again soon and I was wondering if I can move the wire from A31 to A5 which I think can drive 12v ready for the session. We had not allocated A5 to anything so I was wondering if there is any output on it or is it basically open circuit until it is defined so I don't damage anything?
Sorry for the garbled message but any help is appreciated.
Barrie...
You wired a tacho signal wire to IGN6....was this configured to output a tacho signal ? What is the actual vehicle tacho wired to ?

Do AIM not offer a CAN adapter or similar ?

What is the reference to the Skynam ecu in relation to Syvecs ?

Why not just connect the ecu to the MXL via CAN or RS232 then have all the data you need ?
Barrie C

Post by Barrie C »

Hi,
The car is Seat Leon Cupra Cup car which was built in Spain by Seat for a one make series. The cars were all equipped with Sybele Challenger4 ECU by Skynam with special wiring harnesses. My ECU went wrong and as these are sealed and code protected there is no way to extract the coding to laod into the newer Challenger models. I have therefore gone with the Syvecs which has required rewiring the car but keeping the original special harnesses.
I know nothing about the Syvecs ECU, relying on the guy who sorted it all out on the rolling road. The original ECU had an RPM out signal with I presume was derived from the crank sensor. That RPM out signal went to the AIM datalogger and also to the dash rev counter. IGN6 was configured to output a tacho signal I understand which seems to work on on the dash rev counter but not the Aim.
The AIM has additional inputs from its sensors for Oil Pressure, boost, fuel pressure, gear and a second water temperature. Things were getting complicated so I thought it was better to leave the AIM system with its special harness as it was. Only the RPM was not working and I could use the dash rev counter instead but now I would like to see if it can be got working as it drives the shift LEDs.
Regards,
Barrie...
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

If all you really want is a signal for rpm, I'm sure even tapping into an injector trigger would get you that

But CAN or RS232 would allow the dash to avail of all the info and sensors the ecu is seeing.

And obviously rpm is derived from the crank trigger....but it is extremely unlikely the dash would connect to the crank trigger.
tommchris

Post by tommchris »

You'll need an adapter that can connect the S7 Plus to the AIM MXL Datalogger. The specific adapter you need depends on the connection ports available on both your phone and the datalogger. Common options include USB-C to USB-A or micro USB to USB-A adapters.
Uno Online