Motec CAN Programming for 2 Syvecs 50Hz Receivers

rac70

Motec CAN Programming for 2 Syvecs 50Hz Receivers

Post by rac70 »

This is more of a Motec/CAN protocol question, but I noticed quite a few people on here are using Syvecs devices on Motec data loggers or ECU's.

I am trying to program/wire two separate Syvecs 50Hz GPS Receivers into the same CAN bus running from a Motec C185 dash.
The problem I am running into is that both receivers use the same Base Addresses for their transmitted data.

I have tried adjusting the received message timeout for the second receiver as well as changing the received data offsets, but still appear to only get data from one of the receivers, or potentially an unknown mix of data. I am unsure of any other ways to change the priority and order of received messages.

Does anyone know if what I am trying is possible? I would prefer to keep the receivers on the same bus if at all possible. I appreciate any help or feedback!

Here are the current C185 Coms parameters which work with a single receiver:
gps-pos-receive.png
gps-pos-receive.png (125.65 KiB) Viewed 11300 times
gps-channel.png
gps-channel.png (54.85 KiB) Viewed 11300 times
gps-pos-coms.png
gps-pos-coms.png (53.79 KiB) Viewed 11300 times
TimH
JT Innovations

Re: Motec CAN Programming for 2 Syvecs 50Hz Receivers

Post by TimH »

Only way to differentiate between the 2 GPS receivers is they each transmit data using unique CAN IDs. There's nothing you can do at the MoTeC end to magically distinguish data that is received on the same CAN ID from 2 different devices.

I don't think there is a user interface to change the CAN IDs on the 2 receivers so easiest will be to use 2 different CAN busses.
rac70

Post by rac70 »

I also couldn't find any resource for changing the CAN ID's. I assume if there is one it requires access to software I don't have.
If anyone knows of a way to address the CAN ID's, I would definitely like to know.

Looks like I will be making a separate CAN bus.

Thanks for the info and quick reply!
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

out of interest, why would you need 2 of the same GPS on the same vehicle and bus ?

redundancy ? other ?
rac70

Post by rac70 »

The reasoning for two devices is mainly redundancy but also the ability to compare the recorded data depending on where they're placed. The only reason to keep them on the same bus is to reduce the amount of wiring needed.
mewhateful

Post by mewhateful »

That right! In addition to ensuring data integrity, having two devices allows for cross-device comparisons in the event that they are in different locations.
jacksonc

Post by jacksonc »

I am using a Syvecs device on a Motec data logger and an ECU. What is the purpose of connecting 2 sets? I see no need to change fleeing the complex
Prelf1992

Post by Prelf1992 »

If both receivers are transmitting data with the same Base Addresses, you will need to modify the Syvecs GPS Receiver's firmware to change their transmitted message identifiers. This should be done carefully as changing the message IDs can affect the operation of other devices on the CAN bus.

geometry dash
rac70

Post by rac70 »

I wanted to revive this thread before making a new one.

Does anyone know if you can transmit a message to the Syvecs GPS receiver/accelerometer to zero the sensor values?
I can currently zero the sensor when connected to the laptop but would like to be able to zero it on the fly by sending a message to the Syvecs when I press a button.

I know this is possible with other accelerometers, but I haven't been able to find info on transmitting to the Syvecs or zeroing the sensors.

I appreciate all the help!