Frequency inputs

madships

Frequency inputs

Post by madships »

Trying to wire in wheelspeed sensors on to the x10- when I leave the connected sensors unassigned then voltage output is as I would expect when I spin the wheel (I.e. the sensor is registering the trigger teeth etc) but as soon as I assign the sensors to wheelspeed, the voltage is pulled to zero and I get no reading. It seems to be something to do with assigning it as wheel speed, as if I assign it to say a switch input then the sensor works as normal. Is this an issue with having the sensor on the x10, or am I missing something in the scal setup?
TimH
JT Innovations

Re: Frequency inputs

Post by TimH »

Wheel speed is not sent as a voltage; it's sent as a data value representing the frequency that's been measured by the X10.
madships

Post by madships »

Ah, so it is normal for the raw voltage data to drop to zero once the sensor is assigned as a frequency sensor rather than a generic 5v? So I just need to look at different channels when setting it up? Will give it a go. Had assumed that the voltage signal would remain alongside the derived frequency signal.
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

madships wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:04 pm Ah, so it is normal for the raw voltage data to drop to zero once the sensor is assigned as a frequency sensor rather than a generic 5v?
That's normal :)
madships wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:04 pm So I just need to look at different channels when setting it up? Will give it a go. Had assumed that the voltage signal would remain alongside the derived frequency signal.
If you're assigning an X10 input for a wheel speed (for example), set it up as required, then assign a gauge to that wheel speed. I think that's only way to monitor it (so you'll have to spin the wheel; or use a signal generator to emulate the sensor instead of course).
madships

Post by madships »

Ah got you. Thought it was the ecu that did the heavy lifting r.e. signal conversion so expected the raw voltage to still be visible. Makes sense now.
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

Canbus not fast enough to transmit enough voltage samples to allow a meaningful analysis of the speed sensor signal.