Sequential Paddle Downshift Blip (no clutch)

beetos

Re: Sequential Paddle Downshift Blip (no clutch)

Post by beetos »

Setting up a GR Yaris with sequential, all is good but downshifts are very harsh at high rpm. Tried closed loop on barrel%, request ends cut like in the syvecs help video, open loop etc. its downshifts nice at low rpm but very harsh at high. Open loop with longer blip times seem best.

TPs bliptarget multiplier changes don’t seem to help as while in gear the rpm will never be free to reach postdownshift rpm and bliptarget multiplier drives the target too high. Not sure if that’s mostly for twin clutch cars.

Need to yet map the engine predictive time time table but I would be interested what blip set up people are using who have nice high rpm downshifts on a sequential to share their successful set ups for info while I continue to experiment.
Last edited by beetos on Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

first you said upshifts are harsh, and then downshifts ?

For most part for downshifts, it'll either not open the throttle enough, or open it too much. Start somewhere and work one direction only to see how it feels.

Does logging look like the blips are starting at a correct time ?
beetos

Post by beetos »

Apologies, meant downshifts. Up shifts are great. I’ll post up logs but blips look like they are coming on at the right time.
beetos

Post by beetos »

logs of downshifting from 6 to 1.
This is closed loop. No other parameters ending blip. Rev limit active on blip.
Attachments
2024-03-23 08-48-38 plus 0h00m00s S8#24813-GRY.SD
(673.67 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Not sure what's going on there.

Your gear cut input voltage is a very curvy line, as if someone is either leaning or very gently and slow with the shifter ?
It never looks like it is at rest, then a sharp precise shift action made ?

Also throttle, it looks like then throttle is a little out of sync with the DBW target. Nothing huge though. But blips do seem quite small ? Have you tried a larger opening target ?

Also, you've quite a lot of fuel cut and ign retard during the downshift. Is that really necessary ? Like literally after the blip, you're effectively killing the engine. That can hardly feel smooth ?

Even between gears you have a lot of ignition retard going on, although you are not logging the reasons behind any torque reductions to see why it is doing it.
beetos

Post by beetos »

Hi, Torque reductions during blip are coming from post downshift rev limit during blip active, after down shift they are ALS settings for burble. I’ll try turn off ALS to see if it makes a difference.

Blip targets are small but feel smoother with smaller targets as If I try more blip target, blips get harsh and you get even more torque reductions because it drives the rpm harder into the limiter that sits at post downshift rpm, locked in at blip request. It’s getting a bit better the more I experiment. Still trying to fully understand the bliptarget modifier table ( error between rpm and post downshift rpm target). With a twin clutch or clutched down shift I get it as engine can spin independently on drive train, but a sequential that is either in one gear or the next, wondering if that correction is negatively impacting blip target?

Noted on the blip input voltage, that would be my lazy driving.
beetos

Post by beetos »

One thing I realised through testing is roll on rate has almost no effect, right from 0.01% to 100%.

Blip targetMult has a massive impact on how fast the blip comes in and has a large impact on smoothness of downshift.

Continuing the testing…..