Impreza S7PnP CAN Possibilities?

For Subaru Technical Chat
gareth1980

Impreza S7PnP CAN Possibilities?

Post by gareth1980 »

Hi I'm pretty new to CAN and I'm certainly no engine mapper but have a background in electronics so can pick things up fast.

I'm after knowing if the following is possible, I have a 2001 JDM WRX(bugeye) with a Syvecs S7 PnP.

I'm in the process of turning my car from road car to dedicated hillclimb car, as such I've binned all the wiring harness and am starting again as there is so much connected to the ECU that is unnecessary. No problems with this I have then ECU pinout and have pretty much made the engine harness.

I am after setting up a CAN network with, the ECU, GEMS LDS4 Digi Dash, Power distribution module(hardwire electronics PDM and Grayhill Can Keypad.
I know all on my list are compatible and the Syvecs DBC file can be downloaded onto the LDS4 and PDM so all should in theory be able to communicate.
What I need to know is this

*Will I be able to view all sensor info from the ECU on the LDS4 including fuel level?( will be connecting fuel level gauge from fuel cell to ECU)

*Will I be able to control my fuel pumps via CAN?

*Will I be able to control my radiator fan via CAN?

*I see my ECU uses an RJ12/25 plug for the CAN connection? These are not really known to be reliable with vibration etc so doesn't seem ideal also wouldn't be possible to use just twisted pair wires as they wouldn't terminate properly with the plug would need to use CAT6 cable which would make it very hard to connect more than 2 items in the network as splicing into it would be difficult and untidy. Any advice would be great.

*Does the S7 have an internal 120 Ohm resistor one the CAN terminals or would I need to add one? I know the LDS4 does so that end is sorted.

I know that with what I am planning on doing would be better with a non PnP ECU such as the S7Plus, but it cost that much to buy and setup the S7PnP and its only done 200miles on the car and the resale value would be terrible I just can't swallow losing so much on it. Hindsight is a great thing, I should have gone for the S7Plus from the beginning :-(

Any help or advice would be great, I know I've been bothering Ryan more that I should via email so hence my questions on here to a wider crowd.

Kind regards

Gareth
stevieturbo

Re: Impreza S7PnP CAN Possibilities?

Post by stevieturbo »

you will be able to see whatever is on the fixed S7 CAN output stream, as long as the receiver is also configured to receive it. ( obviously you'd need to also wire the fuel level sensor to the ecu )

At a glance though, it looks like fuel level is there in the CAN stream at 19/4, so could be used. Failing that, a look at the LDS4 spec, it does have some analogue inputs, so you could likely wire the fuel level sensor to the dash for that purpose if needed.

If you are running a Syvecs PDM, I'd think you could control the pumps via CAN

If another brand PDM....maybe not.

For wiring, just go from the plug and then join some conventional wire, and route, splice etc as needed ?
gareth1980

Post by gareth1980 »

That’s great thank you for your reply. Feel a bit more confident in what I’m doing now. I knew what I wanted to do just needed to know it was possible :D
gareth1980

Post by gareth1980 »

Does my S7PnP have an internal 120 Ohm resistor on the CAN connections? I’m know the LDS4 has a switchable one.
paulhenge

Post by paulhenge »

stevieturbo wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:16 pm you will be able to see whatever is on the fixed S7 CAN output stream, as long as the receiver is also configured to receive it. ( obviously you'd need to also wire the fuel level sensor to the ecu )

At a glance though, it looks like fuel level is there in the CAN stream at 19/4, so could be used. Failing that, a look at the LDS4 spec, it does have some analogue inputs, so you could likely wire the fuel level sensor to the dash for that purpose if needed.

If you are running a Syvecs PDM, I'd think you could control the pumps via CAN

If another brand PDM....maybe not.

For wiring, just go from the plug and then join some conventional wire, and route, splice etc as needed ?
In my opinion, we need to review the technical specifications to avoid unfortunate risks bad ice cream
mike34

Post by mike34 »

When discussing CAN possibilities in the context of a performance-oriented vehicle like the Impreza S7 PnP, it typically involves exploring the capabilities of the Controller Area Network suika game for tuning, monitoring, or enhancing the vehicle's performance.
monyldab

Post by monyldab »

I would have thought that in a Syvecs PDM environment, pump control could be accommodated through CAN.
lauryfriese

Post by lauryfriese »

For wiring, just go from the plug and then join some conventional wire.