Telemetry

secure

Telemetry

Post by secure »

Just wanted to share my story. I`m running carpc on my car which is also connected to the solaris s6 ecu. Since S6 uses ethernet ply to it was easy to make wireless connection between my laptop and carpc. And bingo!! It works like charm even with poor usb wireless ethernet adapters! This can be turned into an expensive telemetry sytem with some access points, routers,swtiches! :lol:

Anyway that was just an experiment. People around my car suprised when I remotely forced my car to stop running. Argh but they wanted me to run it again :D May be I can use pwm outputs for that :p I love the architecture of the ECU and capabilities of it but i dont want be the first man in the world whose car has been hacked from wireless TCP/ip connection. So remote access disabled now :ugeek:
Charlie
Syvecs Staff- Tea Boy

Re: Telemetry

Post by Charlie »

Glad your enjoying it chap :)
David_Wallis

Post by David_Wallis »

I thought about doing similar by having a pc or laptop (eeee pc) in the car for this.. what I'd be interested in is upping the signal from wireless to have a range that would work at uk circuits. I did think about using a pair of 3g cards :o

or there are things such as this, but I suspect they arent cheap:

http://www.mclarenelectronics.com/Produ ... BT-610.asp

http://www.mclarenelectronics.com/Produ ... br-610.asp

David
secure

Post by secure »

You can bring that type of wifi router device to any of circuit. :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ULTIMATE-COMBO-SYST ... 7C294%3A30

I'm not an network engineer but todays wireless solutiona are far away better and cheaper than those "motorsport telemetry" solutions. You may just need some access point on your car =)
David_Wallis

Post by David_Wallis »

I'm not an network engineer but todays wireless solutiona are far away better and cheaper than those "motorsport telemetry" solutions. You may just need some access point on your car =)
I am :) - Well Systems & Networks Engineer...

Im also a licenced radio amateur :)

Problem is with that aerial you listed, Its a directional antenna, and the gain quoted is the forward gain of the antenna.. They are very likely to have a narrow range so if you are following the car and pointing it at it then you may be ok.

The other problem you have is that the ECU in your car doesn't use the TCP/IP protocol stack so you cannot route the packets - IE you cant plug the solaris into an access point and get an IP address and then just connect to it with a laptop plugged into another access point running in a "bridge" mode.

the only real option would be throw a pc in the footwell and then connect your ecu to this and then use RDP (remote Desktop) to connect to the session on the pc in the car.

David
Sam@TDi

Post by Sam@TDi »

A guy I know used that exact method coupled with a 3G card to map a little Hondata kpro ecu late last year from the comfort of his home in England, whilst the car was on a dyno near Melbourne in Australia, he was in permanent 2-way contact with the operator using Skype via the dyno pc and it worked amazingly well.

Very clever really, the only problem was the amount of red bull it took to work through the night ;) but still a lot less hassle and money than the 20hr flight each way and hotels etc.
Wez
Santa's Little Helper

Post by Wez »

Surely you could have two access points setup as point to point bridges using a couple of 2W amps and a 10dba mag mount omni-directional aerial for the car and another large 15dba aerial for the pit area mounted on a large mast. Since the bridging works at layer 2 the ip addresses are irrelevant and the Syvecs doesnt use IP anyway.
96 MKIV Supra, S6GP, 591bhp & 523ft/lbs
Wez
Santa's Little Helper

Post by Wez »

The other advantage in getting this working would be car to pit comms using a voip skype mobile or something 8-)
96 MKIV Supra, S6GP, 591bhp & 523ft/lbs