Setting up air con

For Subaru Technical Chat
Rob-S

Setting up air con

Post by Rob-S »

Hi,
New to all this but can't wait to get started.
I want to give setting up the air con a go, am I right in thinking that I start by assigning a spare input on the switch and an output to the relay then wire the pins and make the changes in the sensors in Scal?
Cheers
Jasper K

Re: Setting up air con

Post by Jasper K »

Hi Rob,

Depending on your car you will have 2 signals per OE arrangement.

You will have a AirCon Switch and an AirCon Relay signal. The AirCon switch is the request signal coming from the A/C Switch inside the car. The AirCon Relay signal is the OUTPUT signal controlling the actual A/C Clutch.

The signal coming from the A/C Switch from within the car should be wired to an available INPUT on the S6. This Input should be assigned to Air Con Switch in the I/O Configuration -> Pin Assignments. Then you need to assign an OUTPUT on the S6 to Air Con Control. Any Fuel or PWM type output would do.

Once that is setup you need to make sure to setup the Input/Output parameters correctly to make the ECU recognize the A/C Switch signal and operate the output to engage the A/C clutch.

In SENSORS you can setup the Air Con Switch Input configuration. You need to verify whether your Input signal is Active LOW or Active HI. You can use a Multimeter to verify whether you get 0V when you engage A/C or whether you get 12V. Then setup accordingly.

In OUTPUT FUNCTIONS you can setup the Air Con Control configuration. Here you can setup the parameters when you want the A/C Clutch do disengage despite it being enabled within the car. This is to protect the A/C clutch and reduce engine load when doing a WOT pull for example.

Off Engine Speed - Sets RPM threshold which disengages A/C Clutch when exceeded. EG. 4500 rpm.
On Engine Speed - Sets RPM threshold which RE-engages the A/C Clutch. EG. 4400 or 4300 rpm. Keep around 100 rpm difference to avoid oscillation.
Off Throttle Position - Sets TPS threshold which disengages the A/C Clutch. EG. 80%.
On Throttle Position - Sets TPS threshold which RE-engages the A/C Clutch. EG. 70%. Keep around 5-10% difference with the above to avoid oscillation.

Hope this helps. If you need to know more feel free to ask.

Jasper.
Rob-S

Re: Setting up air con

Post by Rob-S »

Thanks Jasper.