Subaru Crank/Cam type

HondaDrag

Subaru Crank/Cam type

Post by HondaDrag »

Hello guys i am near starting a Subaru which has the 36-2-2-2 crank pattern and the 2 teeth Cam phase pattern.
Which Crank and Cam type should i use G10 or G11 in software?
Thanks alot
stevieturbo

Re: Subaru Crank/Cam type

Post by stevieturbo »

Older stuff is G10, what you have is G11

VR both, falling edge etc etc
HondaDrag

Post by HondaDrag »

Thanks alot Stevie for your help.

I chose G11 as you told me but I have no RPM reading, Just Turns>0
I set crank sensor to 5v Bipolar, Filter off, High 2.5, Low 1.0, falling Edge
I set Cam Sensor to 5v Biplolar, Filter on, High 4.5, Low 0.5, Falling Edge
I made 2 gauges for crank and cam with a trace at 100hz and in cranking i am seeing some waveforms but cant seem to have a Sync Log.
What is happening?
Thanks
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

HondaDrag wrote:Thanks alot Stevie for your help.

I chose G11 as you told me but I have no RPM reading, Just Turns>0
I set crank sensor to 5v Bipolar, Filter off, High 2.5, Low 1.0, falling Edge
I set Cam Sensor to 5v Biplolar, Filter on, High 4.5, Low 0.5, Falling Edge
I made 2 gauges for crank and cam with a trace at 100hz and in cranking i am seeing some waveforms but cant seem to have a Sync Log.
What is happening?
Thanks
If you are not getting anything o a scope trace, are you sure they're wired to the correct inputs and those inputs configured ?

Upload your cal file.

I'd set cranking voltage thresholds lower but you should still have a trace on the scope to give you an idea where you need to set them.
HondaDrag

Post by HondaDrag »

Finally i managed to pick a SyncLog....on cranking i have Long tooth gap
The voltage on the Cam sensor looks really weak on cranking!! so i reduced the high/low voltages
Rpm is reading now
I moved minimun speed to Sync 720 to 5000rpm but still no spark output
For the Okada Plasma coil on plugs the required spark output should be TTL or Normal?
Thanks
Attachments
Subaru_2b.SC
(487.05 KiB) Downloaded 707 times
SubaruCranking_4.txt
(225.56 KiB) Downloaded 709 times
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

HondaDrag wrote:Finally i managed to pick a SyncLog....on cranking i have Long tooth gap
The voltage on the Cam sensor looks really weak on cranking!! so i reduced the high/low voltages
Rpm is reading now
I moved minimun speed to Sync 720 to 5000rpm but still no spark output
For the Okada Plasma coil on plugs the required spark output should be TTL or Normal?
Thanks
The cam trigger never falls below the 0v line, so not sure if a low voltage setting of 0v would be correct there ? Although it really is a very very low trace. Is it all OEM wheels and sensors ?

No idea on the coils, but if they are a direct fit for a later 01+ 3 wire coil then they should be TTL

In the log it almost looks like it is trying to sync, you could maybe try ignoring cam once it is sync'd, it might sync after that first attempt, and at least until you get it running and see if the cam trace improves.
HondaDrag

Post by HondaDrag »

Ok so i got it to start and idling.
Had to keep reducing voltages at low rpm as with sparkplugs inn the voltages got worse.
Used TTL output on 5V
Voltages of crank and cam much better while idling.
The issue is now that it is not going to 720...it stays on 360
Thanks for help
Attachments
SubaruIdling_2.txt
(293.52 KiB) Downloaded 692 times
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

And is this the OEM cam sensor and trigger wheel ?

The output really is very very low, even when at idle. Although it should easily be high enough to go into sync ok.

Also, just noticed you have manual cam checklist enabled. If all triggers are standard, probably no reason to have this active. If you did run it enabled, then you'd need to ensure you have it configured correctly which it doesnt seem to be ?

Exactly what year/setup are you using ?
HondaDrag

Post by HondaDrag »

This engine is a fully forged EJ257 engine on a widened GC8 but running without AVCS and has instead vernier pulleys installed.

So its a 2005 model engine but with changed cams etc and made cam timing not adjustable.

The crank and cam sensors are all stock VR sensors but the camshaft sensor on theses heads we had to make
a custom bracket which may not be exactly positioned as the stock one.

I did not enabled the Manual cam check list so good point there, i will see tomorrow what happens when disabled.

Thanks
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

HondaDrag wrote:This engine is a fully forged EJ257 engine on a widened GC8 but running without AVCS and has instead vernier pulleys installed.

So its a 2005 model engine but with changed cams etc and made cam timing not adjustable.

The crank and cam sensors are all stock VR sensors but the camshaft sensor on theses heads we had to make
a custom bracket which may not be exactly positioned as the stock one.

I did not enabled the Manual cam check list so good point there, i will see tomorrow what happens when disabled.

Thanks
Cosworth sell a bracket for the cam sensor if these are later AVCS heads from a DBW car that do not have the provision.

RCM/GGR have them. ie

http://shop.grahamgoode.com/impreza-cam ... 7333-p.asp

Try getting the sensor closer to the teeth, as that's maybe why the voltage is so low.

Although I've also seen poor signals from CDF pulleys, no idea what way they've made them to cause it though.

If after fixing all those things regular G11 doesnt sort it, ie if your trigger teeth are not where the ecu wants them to be because the pulleys have been made differently or something, then you would need to enable manual cam checklist and configure it to suit your two teeth.
It would be fairly easy done when you know where the teeth occur within the cycle.