2008 Subaru does not start

For Subaru Technical Chat
west_minist

Re: 2008 Subaru does not start

Post by west_minist »

TimH wrote:The reason I asked about the CAN bridge is that I have a vague recollection that if the CAN is not setup right, then the ECT reading weirdly is one of the symptoms.

Have you been provided with a base map that includes the CAN datastream setup required for the hatch PnP kit?
Actually no. I had one from Pat to review, but I did asked them since I had to reassign some pins. That could be the issue.

I not sure if I can use opensource tools in logging the car to determine to CAN frame slots.

I had the SMon open to log, but reviewing it now, I don't see how I can verify framing.
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

Use SCal and "grab" the config from the ECU via the Ethernet cable that should be attached to your loom adapter. Then look at the custom datastream setup - if Pat provided a base map, for a Hatch, I would have thought that would have had the datastream set up.
west_minist

Post by west_minist »

It does have it setup. But datastream was from version 1.57 on a car he sent me that he was working on sometime back. Since then the new CAN 2.0 came out for me to do the DCCD programming.

I wanted to see if there was an issue with one of the stream, like an error, etc.

I going and see if the guy can come by and I replug and see.

Is there a way to see all modules attached to the unit. Example bridge, CAN, etc?
Attachments
V1-57 Road 11.SC
(370.67 KiB) Downloaded 629 times
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

Not sure what you mean by "CAN 2.0" in this context...latest S6 firmware is 1.79 I believe.

No, there are no tools in SSuite to tell you what's connected on CAN nor if there are any low-level CAN errors. Generally, if wired correctly between the S6 and the bridge, and the bridge and the vehicle, it all just works.

I've taken a quick look at your CAL and the datastream setup looks the same as another hatch CAL I happen to have.
west_minist

Post by west_minist »

CAN 2.0 bridge is release. It was recently released.

I refer to the connected to the Syvecs. Like the bridge and other components.
Last edited by west_minist on Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

Ah, OK - not familiar with the bridge releases.
west_minist

Post by west_minist »

I am thinking at this level and the unit used, there should be access to Diagnostics or debugging. Makes me wonder who does that and I am not even thinking motel.

There maybe a piece of software there use to see this.

I don't know the addresses the Syvecs us to compare it to what romraider use for CAN logging.
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

CAN messages from S6 to the bridge are all defined in SCal.

Messages from the bridge to and from the vehicle are Subaru-specific and will have been reverse engineered by Syvecs.

Romraider is irrelevant here, unless there's a list of OEM CAN messages available...some of which the CAN bridge will be dealing with.

Not quite sure what it is you want to diagnose here? Hatch PnP is well proven, although maybe the V2 bridge has introduced an error...one for Pat of course. Or it has not been programmed correctly.
west_minist

Post by west_minist »

TimH wrote:CAN messages from S6 to the bridge are all defined in SCal.

Messages from the bridge to and from the vehicle are Subaru-specific and will have been reverse engineered by Syvecs.

Romraider is irrelevant here, unless there's a list of OEM CAN messages available...some of which the CAN bridge will be dealing with.

Not quite sure what it is you want to diagnose here? Hatch PnP is well proven, although maybe the V2 bridge has introduced an error...one for Pat of course. Or it has not been programmed correctly.
I know there are define.

Romraider is relevant if SSM CAN messages are used and the addresses can be typed.

Diagnosed in the since of the dash coolent gauge high and any possible miscommunication while I wait for them to reply.

I have no doubts about the Syvecs/Life Racing. Been reviewing it for years and love it.
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

Absolutely no SSM messages between S6 and bridge - just the generic transmit (and in the case of the Mk 2 CAN bridge...I think..perhaps the slave protocol to get some more info between the bridge and S6). Vehicle side only OEM CAN messages I would think - really can't see Pat being bothered to recreate the SSM messages!

You can use a generic CAN sniffer to see what's going on of course.

And, just to clarify (and apologies for stating the obvious), there is no direct connection between the S6 and the vehicle CAN...it is via the bridge: S6<->Bridge CAN#1; Bridge CAN#2<->Vehicle.