Hardware Calibration Switch

TimH
JT Innovations

Re: Hardware Calibration Switch

Post by TimH »

What serial number is your ECU? There are about 500 made with no CANbus!
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

Correction - it's 100 ecus, in the serial number range 400-499.

If yours is not in this range, then it's either a wiring or config problem. Engine does not need to be running to get CANbus, but does need to be powered.

Email me the CAL if you would like me to double check it is set up right.
shmed

Post by shmed »

Cheers Tim. I've got the Ecu in front of me on a bench supply. Where is the serial number?
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

Don't think it's printed on it, but if you connect to it using SCal the serial number's reported at the top of the screen.
shmed

Post by shmed »

Dam! Found the serial number....

433 grrrr

Who do I have to sleep with/Threaten to sleep with to get CAN enabled? Or do I just need a new ECU?
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

It's a hardware fault and will need the ECU module swapping out. You need to speak to Charlie.

Or use RS232 lol. All the CANbus parameters are duplicated on the RS232 stream.
shmed

Post by shmed »

Thanks for the help on this Tim. I'm making enquiries now about my options.

Unfortunately, I need CAN for my plans and RS232 isn't on the cards. I reckon I could probably get all the info I'd need from the serial output, but I've invested in a few CAN shields for Arduino which will eventually run my dash board, and also my data logger would benefit from CAN.
shmed

Post by shmed »

pat wrote:Gents,

for the record the S6 has got on board CAN bus termination, so that's one end of the bus sorted, it's up to you to terminate the other end :)

Cheers,

Pat.
Thanks Pat, that will help when I finally get round to the wiring phase.

Out of interest, and I think I know the answer to this but, if I aim to have 4 devices on the CAN bus (Syvecs / Data Logger / 2 x Arduino shields), what should I do with the terminating resistors?

I know that the Arduino shields have terminating resistors, and I now know that the Syvecs does too. I'm not sure about the data logger. So if I have three 'terminated' devices, I guess I need to 'unterminate' the CAN shields (they give a how to guide for doing so). As long as I only have two terminated devices, that will work, right?

From what info I have gathered, I was planning to just run a twisted pair through the car with terminating resistors at both ends, then attach tails from each device, but as most of these devices are self terminating, I understand this approach probably won't work.
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

Plenty of info on CANbus out there: basically, a termination at both ends of the line, but not on any devices connected along the line. Short stubs off the line to devices is OK.