Syvecs transforms TVR

Ryan.g
Syvecs Staff - Caretaker

Syvecs transforms TVR

Post by Ryan.g »

Just thought a few of you guys would be interested in a project i have been doing for racing green over the last month. Have mapped a few cars for them which are running the omex management system but never got a finished product from the Omex which i was 100% happy with after being spoilt using much better management systems on high powered road cars and race cars which i work with daily. I told Racing Green about this and they were very interested in seeing how much better i could make the Speed six with the Syvecs Ecu in terms of Smoothness, MPG, Emissions and Power.

So i went out and brought a Tuscan to prove it :)

On the Standard MBE unit the car drove terriably low down, idled like a dog from cold, wouldn't pass a Euro emissions test and went through fuel for fun!

Getting round all of the problems above would not be possiable with just a change of ecu, some other sensors and solenoids had to be added to get what i call perfect.

My first task was to add a cam sensor to the engine. This allows me to get 720 sync and run sequential injection. I did look into other ways of knowing what phase the engine was on by monitoring fly back voltages on the coils and see when it was at TDC by the difference in the voltage which worked but the window of error was just too big so i went along with a cam sensor mounted on the front of the engine. The standard speed six setup runs batch injection which means 6 injectors are driven of just 2 injectors drivers! Not only do the emissions and MPG suffer from this but i also found you get a few lean moments which caused random knock when running batched of 2 injector drivers as the standard injectors are subjected to three times the pulsing it would see in sequential and they just couldn't cope at the higher injector duties. Probably down to injectors not seating correcting... guess this is why omex supply different injector with their kit also.... Running Sequential injection allows each injector to be fired individually at the most suited injection angle which can be set on the syvecs and helped me find the perfect injection angle for getting the engine as smooth as possible. Emissions and MPG were seriously effected by the running of Sequential also but more on that later.

An Idle control solenoid was also needed. Omex currently supplied a kit that fits on the bottom of the throttle bodies which although does work very well is an expensive setup and can be done much cheaper through an small bypass solenoid which tees into the balance line of the throttle bodies and a careful setup of closed loop target idle.

Next as the syvecs can drive a wideband sensor directly i placed one in the exhaust system to get a more accurate idea on the fueling required when cold to make the car as smooth as possible and to also lean out the fueling on cruise when the throttle movement is minimal. (motorway cruising). The wideband feedback is also used at full throttle to ensure the perfect Air fuel ratio is maintained ensuring the car makes the most power in all temperatures.

Finally i added a knock sensor to the block and thought as the Syvecs has full on board traction control it would be rude not to add 4 wheel speeds sensors espically as the driveshafts have trigger wheels on already :)

Now the main benefits of the Syvecs over the Omex i have listed below for those interested.

- Larger Map Resolution, Omex has 20x20 map resolution which on a speed six with a rev limit of 7500rpm allows breakpoints of 375rpm which is just too big in my opionion to get a perfect lambda transition at lower injector duties.... On the syvecs you have 50x50 map resolution so i mapped my car with breakpoints of 200rpm and combined with a sequetial injection setup is just sooo smooth!.
- Individual Cylinder knock detection and control
- Wideband lambda control and NTK Controller.
- Adjustable Traction control based on wheel speed differences and lateral G or steering angle.
- Engine trips
- Fully adjustable PID Closed loop idle control with 3d target maps (omex needs this the most)
- Error/sensor checking through software and warning lamp
- 8 selectable maps on the fly via cal switch for Fuel, Ign, Lambda Targets, Idle, traction control slips and much more.

Cal Switch can be seen on the below Pic in the centre where the ashtray thing normally is..

After all the parts were fitted to the engine i sourced the ecu plugs of the standard MBE unit and then make up a flying loom which connected to the syvecs, this makes it totally plug and play installation.

A power run was done on the car by Charlie at Surrey Rolling road before and it showed a healthy 349bhp which i was happy about to comfirm i had a good engine for testing upon. The lambda readings were also taken during the run which were abit all over the shop as expected and gave me confidence in knowing that i could get it alot better.

The Syvecs was then added and all setup to get the car running and then was taken over to the Dyno again at Surrey rolling road to fully map the car. After a few session getting all the trims, closed loop lambda and knock control fully setup a final power reading was done by Charlie to ensure a fair comparison.

Here are results below just check the difference in the Lambda smoothness.

The last thing to do was setup the Traction control briefly for the car but i will be fully setting this up to get a perfect base map at bruntingthrope this coming wednesday.

Now how does the car drive and feel? Well i got a few tuscan owners from Pistonheads and the guys from Racing green to test drive and find any faults. The feedback was just as i wanted and now a package is being made which they are looking forward to selling on. :)
Wez
Santa's Little Helper

Re: Syvecs transforms TVR

Post by Wez »

Great work Ryan

Having driven this myself earlier in the week all I can say is WOW, makes me want one, the noise and grunt are great 8-)
96 MKIV Supra, S6GP, 591bhp & 523ft/lbs
pavlo
Zen Performance

Post by pavlo »

I guess the NTK lambda sensor worked as expected then!

Nice result.
Ryan.g
Syvecs Staff - Caretaker

Post by Ryan.g »

It did thanks Paul. Great service from ZEN