Porsche 997 Turbo - Engine stopped while highway tuning

hbcmotorsport

Re: Porsche 997 Turbo - Engine stopped while highway tuning

Post by hbcmotorsport »

So i opened the syncscope and i am still not seeing anything being read no matter what mode i click in the bottom. Cranking, live, etc. Nothing happening. Its showing the exact same data that it has since this all started.

I dont have any clues in the bottom right. No errors present.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cgxl5B ... sp=sharing
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

link not working.

I guess if it isn't seeing it turn, you'll get no messages for 0-360-720 etc.

Although no idea why you're not seeing it turn.

you definitely changed the I/O crank signal to AN03 ?
hbcmotorsport

Post by hbcmotorsport »

Definitely. Double checked its in the correct pin location, and i have a trace confirmed on an03 now.

Something weird is going on here i think. With a solid trace on cam and crank there's no reason it shouldn't change the syncState to turn. Plus the fact that I can't see any new data in the synclog is odd also.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

hbcmotorsport wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:41 pm Definitely. Double checked its in the correct pin location, and i have a trace confirmed on an03 now.

Something weird is going on here i think. With a solid trace on cam and crank there's no reason it shouldn't change the syncState to turn. Plus the fact that I can't see any new data in the synclog is odd also.
But that's why I'm thinking the I/O does not have the crank assigned to AN03 ?

You clearly have a trace on AN03 ( datalog at 1000Hz to verify waveform, as well as cam ). So assuming nothing else has changed in terms of setup for crank/cam config, then it should be showing an rpm and attempting to sync/start

And if it was seeing a crank signal on ANO3, then the synclog should be able to record it. But if it was not assigned to AN03, then the crank input can never see it.
hbcmotorsport

Post by hbcmotorsport »

I had to walk away from this for a little while....

Was a little frustrated. Went and got a coffee. So when i got back I just reassigned the crank sensor to an02, hit device->program. Then assigned it back to an03. Then device -> program. Cranked and boom fired right away. Now she's running.

I guess i can just leave the crank position sensor on an03. But why in the world did an02 fail like that?

Alright as i am writing this I got to thinking and went back to look at an02 since now i know that nothing is hooked up to that input. Opened a trace in the bottom, and now it is reading 0.010. This is the first time it has read anything other than 4.961 since this fiasco started. Is there any way the device could have been in a glitched/hung up state? Maybe the couple device programs kicked it free? Side note, that kind of aligns with the car all of a sudden dying like it did.

I am thinking of pinning the crank back to an02 and see if its corrected itself.

Can't thank you enough for all the insight and support brother. What are your thoughts on the cause of all this?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Good to hear it's running again.

I have no clue why it is not working. But I would not rule out further testing of AN02. Applying a known variable 0-5v with it configured as 5v just to see if it receives anything in the most basic form.

I'd say it is now reading different, because it is no longer assigned, and the internal pullup would now be off. When assigned and configured as 5v bipolar or thermistor, the pullup would be on. Or when configured as 5v it would be off and read zero.

I can only assume when not assigned to anything, ie unconfigured, it must read zero. Not something I've particularly tested.

As said before, I don't even know what you'd need to do to kill an input. That would be one for Ryan. I'd think it would be quite difficult. Unless somehow internally an internal track or connection is not sound. The fact you seen a change when the pullup was off....means the input is still doing something, at least within the ecu casing.