Porsche 997 Turbo - Engine stopped while highway tuning

hbcmotorsport

Porsche 997 Turbo - Engine stopped while highway tuning

Post by hbcmotorsport »

I was out on the highway last night working on calibrating my fuel map when all the dash lights came on and the engine then shut off as i coasted to the breakdown lane...

This is an S7+ being tuned Alpha-N with TPS/RPM as my table axis. I am modifying the base calibration sent over to me from Ryan to suit ID1300s and Garett G770s.

I was only at 25% TPS, and roughly 4500rpm when this occurred. I did notice a few minutes earlier that when i raised the "Maximum DBW Target" and tried to tune the 30%TPS row it wouldn't open the throttle past 25%...not sure if this was a setting or possibly a limp scenario, so i was double checking the 25% calibrations when this happened. (The other odd thing that was happening was the rpm needle on the dash would occasionally wind all the way to the max and hold there, but the actual engine rpm would only be say 2500 or 3000)

After i got to the side of the road i looked for errors, and i had either 1 or two errors pertaining to wheel speed sensors. I thought that was odd. Cleared the errors, and hoped the car would fire back up. No luck.

Status showed that i was synced and connected with the ecu. And there were seemingly no errors apparent. (i am still new to this software suite)

The engine cranks, but does not start. When looking at "syncState" and "runMode" while cranking they both continue to read "STOP"

I thought possibly there is an issue with the trigger system, however i don't have any sensor faults etc.

I fiddled in SCal for well over an hour on the side of the highway before deciding i needed a tow. The car is now back at the shop but still wont start.

Does anyone have a place for me to start? Of course this happened just as i was getting comfortable with the software, i get slapped back to reality.

Greatly appreciate the help.

-Ryan

(i posted this in the Syvecs S7 specific area as well, sorry to double post)
stevieturbo

Re: Porsche 997 Turbo - Engine stopped while highway tuning

Post by stevieturbo »

As basic as it gets.

If you have no rpm reading, the readout says STOP, not even turning etc....then it is not seeing the crank signal, or the signal makes no sense.

Crank, see if this changes, do a sync log which will record the crank/cam triggers

save it and report back. Unless a wire is broken or something has become unplugged though...it would be rather odd to just totally lose your crank trigger whilst driving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQcv9YK-DQ0

fiddling is not the way forward....fiddling may well make things worse lol.
hbcmotorsport

Post by hbcmotorsport »

I am at work but i will try that later today. I did pull the logfile off the ecu from when the event happened and it died. From what i can see it didnt lose sync or anything. Maybe you will see something that i am missing.

2023-09-19 22-09-42 plus 0h00m00s S7#26484.SD
(987.86 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

at no point in that log did the engine stop, it was running and sync'd the entire time
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

A log of this event actually happening would be needed.

but start with the synclog to see if the ecu even sees a crank/cam trigger.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

it would be worth re-saving any logs that are in the ecu, in case you've missed the actual one where the event occurred.
hbcmotorsport

Post by hbcmotorsport »

I was out of town the last couple days. Just got a chance to take another look at this. I looked through at the other files and that one i sent is the last one before the car died on the highway. The vehicle speed and time match up. I checked fuel pump fuses thinking that maybe this whole thing was mechanical, but they look fine.

I have tried cranking while looking at AN05 and AN02 widget gauges in the bottom which are the crank and cam sensors. It does show AN05 registering, but i dont see much happening on AN02 which is the crank sensor.

Syncstate still remaining in STOP status not even switching to TURN. Thinking possibly the crank sensor randomly shit the bed?? Seems odd.

Here is the synclog. I am sure this is all very basic, but i am still just learning. Thanks in advance for the help.
10-24-synclog.txt
(300.66 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
hbcmotorsport

Post by hbcmotorsport »

Looking at pin assignments, i find it odd that the crank position A is not highlighted yellow like the other active sensors now.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

What strikes me as strange about that synclog. Is it does not look like a stopped, to cranking, to start or attempt to start.

It looks like it is re-syncing an already turning engine. It is getting to 360, but never 720.

If you have a yellow i/o, then it's double assigned. Often the ecu will not allow this. So that's a bit odd too. What is it doubled up with ?
Normal assignments should just be in black. ( well on a white background screen...haven't used black in years so not sure on that )

If you can pinpoint in that log where the engine actually stopped...it would help. But I cannot see it. So either you were not logging when it happened, or I'm missing something
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Manually go into the sync scope and either click on live or cranking and take one manually. It's been ages since I took one like that manually, so can't recall 100%

And also find out if the crank is double assigned.

Although neither would explain the engine randomly stopping with no other intervention