Syvecs Boost Solenoid Plumbing Info

Pin outs, sensor calibrations etc
PQatPIT

Re: Syvecs Boost Solenoid Plumbing Info

Post by PQatPIT »

Mark_r33 wrote:...use them almost exclusively now...
I've used MAC three port valves for years now, and they deliver. Most boosted engines I have done are between 1,5bar to 3,0bar of boost and I think many engines here in this forum fall in this category. In the past I was disappointed on Pierburg valves and essentially forgot them for good.

I plumb the valve so that more duty more boost, and if valve is electrically disconnected then only spring level boost. And easy to do a simple high/low-boost switch, just cut either wire via switch.
Mark_r33

Post by Mark_r33 »

Thanks for the replies!

The only thing that had put me on to the Pierburg ones was that they come standard on the Vauxhall Astra's we have been playing with. They just seemed a nice little unit that hadn't given any issues thus far. I shall remember this advice if we are asked to do something with high boost though, so again, thanks for sharing.

Yes, I too plumb them that way. I also use a lot of mini tie wraps to try to make sure the hose doesn't blow off, and route the hose in the safest place I can. I hate the fact that a simple little hose coming off means full boost! It is ok on the Syvecs with all the protection I guess, other than finishing your race, but when you are on a hacked OE ecu it is a recipe for disaster, especially with a non mechanically sympathetic driver!

I've used the MAC too, and found it great. I just kind of thought that the Pierburg "looked nicer" :oops: :lol:
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

My understanding of this - as a supplier of Pierburgs - is that they are great replacements for 2-ports fitted to some cars, and also great for "modest" boost (2 bar max, perhaps) builds, but after that are likely to struggle. I've also been told that they have problems with external wastegate setups, although I don't pretend to understand why that, per se, is an issue.
Mark_r33

Post by Mark_r33 »

Tim,

You have just reminded me of an experience with the Pierburg and an external wastegate. I plumbed it in the manner that I would describe as "normal", in that I had a straight pressure reference going to the "open" side of the gate, and then had the valve venting the "close" port at 0% duty and giving it pressure at 100%.

We were running a .5 bar spring, and aiming to get to around 1.5 bar of boost with the control. What I found happened was that it took a lot of duty to do anything , around 35-40% iirc, then once things started to react I managed to get up to around 1.2 bar, after which point any more duty went for the sky! In the end I simply plumbed it up as you do an internal gate, venting the top port constantly and venting the lower port at 100% duty. This has resulted in good control of the boost up to 1.7 bar now-a-days.

I couldn't understand what was causing the issue, as when you think about it both of these control strategies work the same, they both equalise the pressure to both sides of the gate's actuator to increase boost. With Hindsight, it was the valve being plumbed in in a different way that was causing it, was it not?! So I have already experienced this issue, thinking about it!

Some really good info here, cheers chaps!
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

The thing is too...there are many ways to plumb external gates because you have access to both chambers.

And plumbing will vary depending on overall boost targets, range of boost required, wastegate spring, EGBP, and of course the solenoid.

So it isnt as easy to say there is one size fits all.
Mark_r33

Post by Mark_r33 »

The only methods that I have tried thus far are the two mentioned above. I had always plumbed external gates this way until I experienced the problem I mentioned with erratic control. I guess I had always just gotten away with it due to running low levels of boost on un-built NA motors.

Would you mind elaborating upon the other plumbing options at all Steve, or posting a link if there is something good to read? I know that there is the 4-port solenoid (or 2 3-port) option of actually creating a negative pressure gradient over the actuator, which seems a really neat solution for much larger control range. Then the only other method I have seen is like how Subaru did the Impreza's, just bleeding off air from the signal line to the actuator. Not really too fond of this method though, it just seems unnecessarily wasteful to me?

BTW I have been trying to reply to your message on DTA all morning, but am just getting errors. The Granada is awesome though, and well worthy of some life! :lol: I've a soft spot for old Fords 8-)
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Easiest way to view plumbing options is with Turbosmarts EBoost2 instructions

It covers them all with drawings, although not convinced their description is always ideal

They always plumb with solenoid off = lower/base boost level and use the MAC solenoid.

http://www.turbosmart.com.au/wp-content ... MAY-12.pdf
The Zedhed

Post by The Zedhed »

My R35 has just started to overboost (hitting boost cut on the Syvecs at 2.3bar) pipework looks ok but bloody hard to see at the back of the motor.
Is there a way to test the solenoid via Syvecs to be sure its not failing/stuck?

Cheers
Ian
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

You can use the output testing mode to turn the solenoid on/off - not sure if you can hear it click, but should be able to check air flow through it maybe?

Use test mode with extreme caution, and make sure the initial states are right: get it wrong, and you can fill your cylinders up with fuel by accidentally turning the injectors on. I would say "if in doubt, don't use it"!
The Zedhed

Post by The Zedhed »

Thanks Tim,
Sorry for the delay, I'd completely forgotten about this thread :oops:

Turned out I had a split diaphragm, good ole Syvecs saved the motor though :D