MY03 STI ECU pin outs

For Subaru Technical Chat
pat
Syvecs Staff - Cleaner

Re: MY03 STI ECU pin outs

Post by pat »

Gents,

Sorry about the confusion that the AN numbers continue to create. It is on the ToDo list to rename the pins in the I/O Config....

The naming convention on the S6 differs to the S8 because of the capabilities. On the S8 all of the first 16 inputs are equally capable, but this capability and flexibility has a cost associated with it, and for most of the time is more than is actually needed. Consider, for a moment, that a Bipolar type input needs a pair of DACs to generate the configurable thresholds needed to feed the two comparators which feed the FPGA for signal detection. We can lose the DACs (and save the customer some money) by hard-wiring the thresholds with resistors; what we end up with is an input that can still detect speed signals but is better suited to unipolar type signals such as hall effect or optical sensors. We can also delete the comparators and threshold circuitry for signals that don't need speed measurement; a TPS or MAP sensor doesn't need a hardware trigger to flag it is over or under a threshold; software can do that. More savings to pass on to customers :) We ended up with four lots of four pins, each lot having different capabilities. To try to make it easier to remember we came up with AB (Analog, Bipolar), AU (Analogue, Unipolar), AV (Analogue, Voltage) and AR (Analogue, Resistive). You don't inadvertently connect your temp sensor to AN10 because you're looking at AV2 and can immediately see it is not suitable. That was the theory :) And the plan was that in the I/O config the pins should be named the same way.... and they will be.... some time :)

Tim,

Our pin numbering convention does not follow Subaru's since they don't appear to be able to make their minds up or indeed get it right. For the most part the number of pins per plug is not constant ergo I chose A as the plug with the most pins, B the next most etc. There are exceptions, BUT, the page gives the pin locations as well as descriptions so it is hard to get it wrong. With regard to the JDM wiring, that turns out to be a misnomer. It should read Immobilisier / Non-Immobiliser. You only need to invoke the "JDM" option when plugged into JDM vehicles devoid of a factory immobiliser. I don't recall having had a problem with the A/C on such vehicles.

Cheers,

Pat.
TimH
JT Innovations

Re: MY03 STI ECU pin outs

Post by TimH »

AV4 A/C Request (D6 on EU or D5 on JDM)
AR3 Test Mode (D5 on EU or D14 on JDM) [KILL/ALS/LAUNCH/CAL]
It is the D5 in relation to AV4 that is incorrect: it is D2 on a JDM, I beleive. I fell foul of this when wanting to make use of the A/C input on a car that had it removed - I spliced to D5 and got in to no end of grief because it was a JDM car with a UK loom and inadvertanly activated the immobiliser :evil:

Something like that, anyway.

The A/B/C/D/E ECU connector naming convention is consistent on all newage wiring diagrams I've looked at. Granted, if you rely on the information on this forum then you may not need to refer to Subaru wiring diagrams...but I usually do especially when I activate the immoboliser :lol: