Max. allowed Coil Charge Time (Dwell)

For Subaru Technical Chat
EMS

Max. allowed Coil Charge Time (Dwell)

Post by EMS »

I have some trouble with a MY99 car running a Syvecs S6PNP on E85. I have some slight misfire from about 1.5 bar of boost (GTX3076 turbo). I am running PFR7B plugs gapped to 0.6 mm. Changing Dwell time from 3.5 ms to 4.5 ms made it better, but I don't have the experience up to which level I can increase the Coil Charge Time.

Can someone shine a light on this?

Thanks in advance,

Mark.
Charlie
Syvecs Staff- Tea Boy

Re: Max. allowed Coil Charge Time (Dwell)

Post by Charlie »

Mark is it on the orig coil pack or has it been converted to coil packs?
EMS

Post by EMS »

Original coil pack on top of the manifold.
Charlie
Syvecs Staff- Tea Boy

Post by Charlie »

Have you tried a different one? Most people switch to coil on plug at that power level over here
EMS

Post by EMS »

I've not tried another coil and I am not intending to do, as the car "only" runs 1.6 bar of boost. At the moment there is hardly any misfire, only every now and than. I just want to know how far I can increase the Coil Charge Time without frying the coil. (as increasing it from the 3.5 ms from the Syvecs "basefile" did help)
EMS

Post by EMS »

Anyone?
Jasper K

Post by Jasper K »

Hi Mark,

Ultimately you would need to use an oscilloscope and monitor the dwell curve. You should perhaps use a wideband current clamp to measure the current from the 12V Power feed to the coil pack. You should see a charging current when the coils are charged. You can slowly increase Dwell time until you see current starts flatlining (some ignitors are current limited) or a sudden rise in current indicating saturation has started. Then back off the dwell time a bit and you're done provided the coil pack can handle the heat. At least electrically speaking this would be the approach.

Another problem is that these coilpacks are wasted spark. They will be firing twice as fast as later COP solutions which is also means that there might even not be enough time to charge them fully at high revs.

Have you tried gapping the plugs as small as 0.55 or 0.5mm? Are your HT leads in good condition? Too much parasitic losses are not helping the already not so good '99 coilpacks. Alcohol based fuels are more difficult to ignite. Straight Methanol would be the worst.

Cheers,

Jasper.
pavlo
Zen Performance

Post by pavlo »

You could certainly go to 4ms, I will check some maps for more info.