2003 Ford Focus RS - sensors question ?

Jackstrath

Re: 2003 Ford Focus RS - sensors question ?

Post by Jackstrath »

Hmm, finding another 3 spare inputs might be a issue, damm I thought it would be 2 and using the tps one just left me needing 1 extra, I probably do have 3 spare but i was wanting to run flex fuel sensor at some point, hmm will have to go over what Iv got free first before I go buying things
Jackstrath

Post by Jackstrath »

I have FUEL13,14,15,16 doing nothing, can these be used as inputs ? Function states idle stepper ?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Jackstrath wrote:Hmm, finding another 3 spare inputs might be a issue, damm I thought it would be 2 and using the tps one just left me needing 1 extra, I probably do have 3 spare but i was wanting to run flex fuel sensor at some point, hmm will have to go over what Iv got free first before I go buying things
Fuel etc are all outputs, not inputs.

DBW using the little Syvecs box uses a single output.

But yes, strictly speaking you still need another 3 inputs over what you'd currently have. But at a push foregoing some safety features ( I think you can do this anyway ) you could drop it down to a single input each.

or Tim's expander will cover all the DBW needs without touching the ecu and will free up the old TPS input on the ecu for your flex fuel if needed.
Jackstrath

Post by Jackstrath »

Ah thought that might be the case :( , Do you have a link to tims expander ? although the way that reads by not being part of the ecu sounds like anti lag and throttle blip ect would then no longer be possible?

Thanks for the input
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Jackstrath wrote:Ah thought that might be the case :( , Do you have a link to tims expander ? although the way that reads by not being part of the ecu sounds like anti lag and throttle blip ect would then no longer be possible?

Thanks for the input

https://jti.uk.com/mini-expansion-unit/

Although physical connections are not to the ecu as such ( MEU is via CAN to ecu ), all the actual controls are still via the Syvecs and all functions are available as they would be if you had full DBW onboard.

Plus you now get GPS speed, position/Acceleration data etc with the expander.
Jackstrath

Post by Jackstrath »

Interesting! This might sound stupid, but I have the plex dash already on the can output, I take it I can’t then add this in to the same can line as the dash?
Can confuses me in my Bmw ! Scratched the surface when I added a parking module by just splicing into the can system, so assume it’s possible to add ?
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

Jackstrath wrote:Interesting! This might sound stupid, but I have the plex dash already on the can output, I take it I can’t then add this in to the same can line as the dash?
Can confuses me in my Bmw ! Scratched the surface when I added a parking module by just splicing into the can system, so assume it’s possible to add ?
Yes, it is possible, but you will need to make a change to your Plex settings.

An I/O expander uses a non-standard CAN data rate which won't be compatible with the default Plex setting of 1Mbit/s. You'll need to change the Plex to use 1.33Mbit/s and then it will behave as a dash with no problem.

The only time this becomes problematic is if you are sending any CAL change messages from the Plex as these will not be sent when running at 1.33Mbit/s. Also a problem if the S6 is connected to anything else (such as the vehicle CANbus, either directly or via a CAN bridge).

It's a shortcoming of the S6 (well, to be fair, not a shortcoming as such; just a side effect of the entry-level S6 only having 1 CANbus unlike the others in the range). There is a workaround if really needed but it involves an extra bit of hardware.

You can give me a call if you like and we can talk it through (01305 534535).

As far as how many inputs are needed, you could get away with 1x TPS and 1x PPS, but SCal will complain every time you load a config as "A/B validation" is strongly recommended for safety reasons. The idea is that if the PPS fails in a state of being equivalent to a full throttle demand then there's no way the ECU can know and it will open the throttle. if the PPS doesn't go fully to 0 or 5V then you can setup the linearisation to improve the chances of failure detection(so if the ECU sees 5V or 0V it will flag as failed) - but there may be other fail conditions that aren't detected without A/B validation, such as a PPS stuck at near-full throttle.

Its your choice - and at your risk; and I am not a mapper LOL
Jackstrath

Post by Jackstrath »

Well iv had another look at my pin out sheet and seen i have the following (had missed the FL RL speed ones)

AB3 (#3) 37 FL SPEED INPUT
AB4 (#4) 38 RL SPEED INPUT
AV1 (#9) 40 TPS INPUT TPS
AU3 (#7) 60 SPARE INPUT
AR1 (#13) 63 COOLANT TEMP INPUT (this is the 2nd coolant temp sensor iv talked about previous)

Does the flex fuel sensor just use 1 signal wire? If so i could get away with fitting it with out the expansion unit
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Flex fuel does use a single input.
Jackstrath

Post by Jackstrath »

thanks steve! couldnt see anything but just assumed!