2003 Ford Focus RS - sensors question ?

TimH
JT Innovations

Re: 2003 Ford Focus RS - sensors question ?

Post by TimH »

And it needs to be on an AU or AB type.
Jackstrath

Post by Jackstrath »

Thanks Tim! that would of been a issue!

AB3 (#3) 37 Trottle Body A
AB4 (#4) 38 Trottle Body B
AV1 (#9) 40 Trottle Peddle A
AU3 (#7) 60 Flex Fuel
AR1 (#13) 63 Trottle Peddle B

That seem logical ?
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

Yes logical, although not perfect if I was to be pedantic. The AR inputs have a pullup that you can't turn off which will make the response non-linear; it just means you'll have to be a little more careful with the linearisation, to avoid A/B validation trips.

And I presume you don't need the wheel speed inputs? I know on some Focus calibrations these are used for road speed calculations and/or traction control.
Jackstrath

Post by Jackstrath »

No i have the VSS from the gearbox going into the ECU already, Traction control would be nice but isnt something iv ever had in the past or felt iv needed with the car mapped smooth.

Thanks again
Jackstrath

Post by Jackstrath »

Tim do you sell the DBW module listed on syvecs site?
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

Jackstrath wrote:Tim do you sell the DBW module listed on syvecs site?
I can get one ordered for you - or it may be quicker/easier to phone Syvecs and buy one direct; they're not expensive.
Jackstrath

Post by Jackstrath »

So did the racing back in july, bagged a 2nd and 3rd in class with the racing, snapped a throttle cable in the pratice for the 2nd race.... so the DBW is going ahead !

Had looked at doing the bosch motorsport TB but they were expensive and i felt not needed,

So i have went with a mk2 ST/RS throttle body, and a mk3 (but have on order a mk2 as well) Throttle peddle , Also gave TimH a phone and have the Dual H Bridge moduel coming as well!

Imagetb1.JPG by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Done a bit of digging about and found this for the DBW bits
Ped
Imagethrottle ped by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

TB
Imagetb by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Although being honest im not sure how the Duel H Bridge gets wired in between this lot and the ecu? I have had a look on this forum and cant seem to find much about wiering it up ?
Anyone got any info that would help me out ?

Thanks
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Tim will sort you out.

But, keep it simple. Use the MEU for DBW entirely. ie pedal nor DBW unit will be connected to the ecu.

The MEU will need power and CAN, so 4 wires really between ecu and MEU.

Then 2 inputs from the pedal to MEU, 2 inputs from the DBW unit, blade position sensor, 2 outputs to the DBW motor and the MEU will also have a 5v and sensor ground for the position sensor.

Then you'll need to configure the I/O in the ecu as such.

Then there will be a number of calibration changes needed so whoever is mapping it should be able to sort all that and setup the DBW.
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

Stevie - Jack's not using an MEU; just the Syvecs H-bridge module.

Jack - you need a spare ECU output which will be configured as the DBW control. A TTL (ignition) output is easiest as that is a clean 0-5V switch, whereas an injector/PWM output will need a resistor added in to pull the low-side drive up to 5V.

The control wire goes to the "S1" input of the H-bridge box. The M+ and M- terminals go to the motor terminals on the throttle body - pins 5 ans 6 on the drawing you found The throttle body TPS outputs will need wiring to spare ECU inputs, along with 5V and analogue ground connections; as per that drawing.

It also needs the electronic pedal wired in - also as per the drawings you found.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Ahh right...

Then yes, he'll need an additional 3 spare ecu inputs and the 1 output to get it running.

ie 1 x TPS already, turns into 2 x TPS and 2 x PPS and then the output.