Output pin names, have they changed?

jezzpalmer

Output pin names, have they changed?

Post by jezzpalmer »

Hello,

Have the AUX1-8 (PWM1-8) output been renamed FUEL 9-16 in later releases?

Previous versions also gave the control board pin number alongside the output type and number, but in 1.69 I just see the output type and no control board number?

Older version...
outputs.JPG
outputs.JPG (29.96 KiB) Viewed 24294 times
Latest 1.69
outputs.1.69.JPG
outputs.1.69.JPG (47.79 KiB) Viewed 24262 times
Cheers,
Jezz.
stevieturbo

Re: Output pin names, have they changed?

Post by stevieturbo »

Funny...I'm on 1.67 and havent looked at this for a long time.

but noticed today my fan wasnt working and checked I/O to do an output test. And it's as you're describing, it just said Fuel12
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

There is a difference in the 16 outputs: the first 8 are specified for 10A whereas the second 8 are specified at 5A.

Actually, 5A is more appropriate for injectors than 10A, so who knows!
jezzpalmer

Post by jezzpalmer »

Thanks both. :)

So I'm guessing that your fan was on PWM4 before, now on FUEL12, Stevie?

I'm in the middle of assigning outputs and I'm just after clarification that this is how the pins have been renamed before something goes horribly wrong LOL.

Can someone confirm that this is the new naming convention?

PWM1 (CTL-10) = FUEL9
PWM2 (CTL-12) = FUEL10
PWM3 (CTL-14) = FUEL11
PWM4 (CTL-16) = FUEL12
PWM5 (CTL-62) = FUEL13
PWM6 (CTL-64) = FUEL14
PWM7 (CTL-66) = FUEL15
PWM8 (CTL-68) = FUEL16

Cheers,
Jezz.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

I need to go back to 1.50 for it to have the old numbers, all newer versions say FUEL instead of PWM/CTL

TBH I did notice a change in the software when I did the output test yesterday, mainly noticing it was easier to correlate the two from I/O config to the output I tested
But never though much as to why it was easier.

So the new numbering makes sense within the software, even if it may slightly alter excel/wiring table setups.

I tested my own injectors before and they pull less than 1A ! lol I run 2 per output and they run around 1.7-1.8A at idle although never did test at higher rpm's to see if they maybe drew more current at higher operating ranges.

And looking back correctly...it's PWM06 and FUEL14 for my Fan. Just had 12 in my head last night.

Having the CTL numbers in there is handy too for refering to wiring diagram charts, that's maybe not a great omission.
CT9A

Post by CT9A »

jezzpalmer wrote:Thanks both. :)

So I'm guessing that your fan was on PWM4 before, now on FUEL12, Stevie?

I'm in the middle of assigning outputs and I'm just after clarification that this is how the pins have been renamed before something goes horribly wrong LOL.

Can someone confirm that this is the new naming convention?

PWM1 (CTL-10) = FUEL9
PWM2 (CTL-12) = FUEL10
PWM3 (CTL-14) = FUEL11
PWM4 (CTL-16) = FUEL12
PWM5 (CTL-62) = FUEL13
PWM6 (CTL-64) = FUEL14
PWM7 (CTL-66) = FUEL15
PWM8 (CTL-68) = FUEL16

Cheers,
Jezz.
I can confirm that FUEL9 is AUX1, FUEL10 AUX2 and so on.
jezzpalmer

Post by jezzpalmer »

That's great, thanks for confirming.
I'll update my docs.

I'd expect the injector current draw to increase at higher absolute fuel pressures, but not sure if it's linear or not.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

jezzpalmer wrote:That's great, thanks for confirming.
I'll update my docs.

I'd expect the injector current draw to increase at higher absolute fuel pressures, but not sure if it's linear or not.
Pressure across the injectors should remain fairly constant though ? So shouldnt matter ?
pat
Syvecs Staff - Cleaner

Post by pat »

A couple of things....

1) Yes, PWM1-8 were re-named as FUEL9-16, this happened when the S6 firmware was enhanced to allow more than 8 injectors and it was simplest to just rename them all - that way you can still choose (max 12 assigned at the mo). This is also more consistent with the S8 naming convention. The CTL numbers were dropped because they refer to pin numbers most people will never use (the 100 pin interface between the control board and the carrier).

2) Average injector current for saturated injectors is not affected by fuel pressure, even if delta-P across the injector changes. The limiting element is the DC resistance of the coil. Once the saturation current has been reached it is purely Ohm's law with the DC resistance of the coil. The only time that there are differences is when there is a change in the magnetic field - this will generate an EMF which can increase or decrease the current. There are two stages that are important. The first stage is when the voltage is applied to the injector - current starts to build - initially all the voltage is across the inductive part to the L-R series circuit. As current builds, the L term diminishes and the R term increases. Eventually the current through the injector obeys ohm's law and there is no further change in magnetic flux, and hence no voltage due to the self-inductance of the coil. At some point, though, the pintle will move, opening the injector, and this will alter the magnetic path, and along with it the reluctance of the magnetic circuit - this will change the EMF generated by the coil and so there will be a perturbance to the current and EMF at that time. The time itself will be a function of delta-P across the injector - since the magnetic force needs to exceed the seating force (combination of spring and fuel pressure) for the injector to open. The net effect, then, of the delta-P change across the injector is minimal - it only affects the opening time, and the shape of the current waveform at that point - it should not cause a change in the peak current, but the time integral of current might be slightly affected. In short, it's not worth worrying about - at least not with saturated injectors, but it might be a factor in determining the closed loop gain and phase margin of the current regulation circuitry in peak and hold type injector drivers.

Cheers,

Pat.
jezzpalmer

Post by jezzpalmer »

Thanks Pat for confirming the output names, and also for the detailed explanation of the injector current draw.

Cheers,
Jezz.