3-pin idle valve configuration?

PQatPIT

3-pin idle valve configuration?

Post by PQatPIT »

Is it possible to configure one PWM channel as Idle main output, and other PWM channel as Idle slave output?

I'd like to keep using a BMW 3-pin idle valves because I have them and they seem to behave even when old and worn as long as cleaned perioidically. Especially in BMW engines. :)
Last edited by PQatPIT on Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Benkku

Re: 3-pin idle valve configuration?

Post by Benkku »

Sure - it is - from;
'Calibration' -> 'IO Configuration' -> 'Pin Assignments' -> B) Outputs : Idle Speed Control 1 to 4.

fex. double coil Bosch air valve driving.
Idle Speed Control 1 -> set to PWM1 : CTL-10
Idle Speed Control 2 -> set to PWM2 : CTL-12

Single, spring return solenoid, double coil solenoids and stepper valves are supported auxiliary air valves.

Then define settings, under 'Calibration' -> 'Throttle Bypass Control', 'Idle Control' and 'Idle Stepper Control'.
PQatPIT

Post by PQatPIT »

Benkku wrote:fex. double coil Bosch air valve driving.
Idle Speed Control 1 -> set to PWM1 : CTL-10
Idle Speed Control 2 -> set to PWM2 : CTL-12
Thanks!
This far I could figure out also :). I couldn't figure out If I connect and configure it this way, and check it with scope will I really see PWM1 as main channel and PWM2 as slave channel (inverted signal) ? It's just that there was no specific idle slave tick box or similar setting I could find.
Benkku

Post by Benkku »

No, not right away. One needs to define polarity (likewise frequency and other parameters) of these signals. Those (signal polarity etc. 'matters') are defined in 'Throttle Bypass Control', 'Idle Control' and 'Idle Stepper Control' menus.

Kyllä se siitä...
pavlo
Zen Performance

Post by pavlo »

That's not really correct.

"Idle control Valve" outputs are for stepper motors. PWM style valves are assigned as a "throttle bypass valve" so there is only a single output and 3 pin "push-pull" style valves are not supported properly.

However if you want to control both ends of a 3 wire valve there is a way to do it using one of the other functions, which I have use to help extend the usefel range of the valve.

Otherwise I would just stick to single PWM (typically 2 wire) valves.
Ryan.g
Syvecs Staff - Caretaker

Post by Ryan.g »

The Dual phase control of the Idle valve is coming in next weeks S6 Firmware release