Sharing inputs

bdog

Sharing inputs

Post by bdog »

Is it possible to use single input pin for several tasks? (e.g. Clutch Depressed Switch / Gear Blip Request / Gear Cut Request)

I tried unsuccessfully to use pin AN15 for both Gear Blip and Cut.

Thanks!
pavlo
Zen Performance

Re: Sharing inputs

Post by pavlo »

Yes and no.

Generally not but you can share an input for the task you want to do. You need to set the "Cut Input Polarity" and "Blip input Polarity" opposite from each other so they reflect the action of the strain gauge. Usually you would have a strain gauge lever sat with the output at say 2.5volts nominal, and go hi in one direction and low in the other. What you can't do is set the input to trigger both functions with the same high or low input.

If you're using switched inputs this isn't going to work so nicely.

If you are trying to cut and blip just using the clutch pedal then think carefully about what you're doing, and realised why its not a good idea! But of course you could blip with the Neutral switch.
bdog

Post by bdog »

Thanks!

One more question - Is it somehow possible to use the input from two pins to decide whether to activate a function?
e.g. If (clutch==DEPRESSED && brake==DEPRESSED) Blip();

That can be achieved by adding some hardware (an AND Gate) but a software solution would be nicer.
pavlo
Zen Performance

Post by pavlo »

What will be easier is if you tell us what you're trying to do, and then we can suggest the best way to do it, or if you're trying to do something "unwise".

There are currently no general purpose software functions or rules that can be brought into play. The blip function is derived from racing car gearbox control, and so that's what it works properly on. From the sounds of it you are going to have to use some additional logic in order to get a blip to work on what I presume is a synchro gearbox.

Paul
bdog

Post by bdog »

pavlo wrote: From the sounds of it you are going to have to use some additional logic in order to get a blip to work on what I presume is a synchro gearbox.
Yes, that's what I'm trying to do.

Thanks for the reply!I think I got it right now.
pavlo
Zen Performance

Post by pavlo »

Yes if you're trying to do a blip function on something like a Hawkeye Subaru with DBW throttle, then you probably want to trigger the blip with NPS and clutch switch, and perhaps the brake too if you want you will need to test it to find the best combination. But to share the input with the cut function (driven by the clutch) you will need to ensure the signals are unique.

So 2.5v at rest, 5volts for cut, 0v for blip. Active High for cut, active low for blip.

You could move the at rest voltage up or down to suit your electronics if you wanted.

The Syvecs is strategy driven, so all the strategies are there and you apply inputs. The motec is I/O driven, you have all the inputs and outputs there and assign strategies or functions to each of them. It may seem like the same thing, but it means that there is only ever one throttle blip and power cut strategy on the syvecs, and for instance 3 unique fan output strategies. Whereas on the MoTeC you could have 6 thermo fan outputs assigned each independent from the other.