Output Test Mode Question - Can't Enable Output

Jason Bentley

Output Test Mode Question - Can't Enable Output

Post by Jason Bentley »

I have a S6 PnP for my MKIV Supra. I have successfully tested my Fuel Pump 2 output (wired to Fuel 08), but have not been able to enable the output for Fuel Pump 1 (wired to Fuel 12). Fuel Pump 1 is configured in the output configuration for Fuel 12 per the Syvecs PnP pinout provided with the PnP kit. I added a gauge on my cal worksheet to monitor the output for each fuel pump. Fuel Pump 2 changes state to On when cycled, along with being able to confirm the pump is running in the car, but for some reason I cannot get Fuel Pump 1 to enable. The gauge never changes state from Off to On when I enable the Fuel 12 output on the Fuel Base Output page.

Any ideas?

Jason
Last edited by Jason Bentley on Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TimH
JT Innovations

Re: Output Test Mode Question - Can't Enable Output

Post by TimH »

Dumb question: if you're using output testing, have you turned it on!?

The assignments in I/O config are irrelevant to output testing. Once you enable output testing you can set base states at will to check output wiring.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Pretty sure the gauges etc do not work correctly when in output testing mode. At least I know when i was testing some a while back the likes of pressure readings did not work.

But if you are using the same process for both pump 1 and pump 2...something is up.

As a pnp...does that car normally have 2 pumps ? Have you verified manually that both pumps are capable of working via whatever wiring you are using ?

If you test all the other outputs, do they work as expected ? ( if testing injector outputs, it's maybe best to have the injector unplugged if there is fuel in the system )

And initially you've said you cannot get Fuel pump 1 to enable...and at the end you say you cannot get fuel pump 2 to enable ?
Jason Bentley

Post by Jason Bentley »

stevieturbo wrote:Pretty sure the gauges etc do not work correctly when in output testing mode. At least I know when i was testing some a while back the likes of pressure readings did not work.

But if you are using the same process for both pump 1 and pump 2...something is up.

I agree!

As a pnp...does that car normally have 2 pumps ? Have you verified manually that both pumps are capable of working via whatever wiring you are using ?

If you test all the other outputs, do they work as expected ? ( if testing injector outputs, it's maybe best to have the injector unplugged if there is fuel in the system )

And initially you've said you cannot get Fuel pump 1 to enable...and at the end you say you cannot get fuel pump 2 to enable ?
Correction was made in my original post - thank you for catching that!

No, the car has one fuel pump in stock form. This is the fuel pump I'm attempting to test. The Syvecs is configured for a 5v signal on the Fuel 12 output (I confirmed the pullup resistor is has been set via Syvecs as part of the PnP for this specific car). From the Syvecs to the fuel pump, the wiring is all in it's stock form. The Supra has a Fuel Pump ECU that the Syvecs Fuel 12 output is wired to via the stock harness. I am not getting 5v out of this output.

I haven't tested any other outputs yet. I'll be moving on to others this coming weekend.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

So there is actually only one fuel pump ?

At what point are you testing ? close to the ecu connector, or right at the device ?

Cant comment on the Supra or its controller...I do see searching online the controller seems to expect a 0-5v PWM signal. Not sure which is deemed full speed and which low.
But I guess testing with a digital multimeter between that output and ground you should see some state change when applying the output test.

I presume this is how the original is ?

http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/page/4360 ... inFunction
Jason Bentley

Post by Jason Bentley »

stevieturbo wrote:So there is actually only one fuel pump ?

At what point are you testing ? close to the ecu connector, or right at the device ?

Cant comment on the Supra or its controller...I do see searching online the controller seems to expect a 0-5v PWM signal. Not sure which is deemed full speed and which low.
But I guess testing with a digital multimeter between that output and ground you should see some state change when applying the output test.

I presume this is how the original is ?

http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/page/4360 ... inFunction
I now have two pumps installed, but the second pump, which I added for more volume when running E85, is running. The stock fuel pump, which is the one I cannot get to run, still has all stock wiring in place and the wiring/operation is identical to the diagram within the link you provided (thank you). I am measuring for 5v on what that diagram is calling the FPC wire. I'm measuring at the FPC. I can measure at the ECU as well, but the stock wiring has not been touched, so I'd expect there to be no issues between the harness and the FPC. I double check this tonight.

Can anybody confirm whether or not I should be expecting to see my FuelPump1 Gauge change state when I test the output?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

As said, I'm pretty sure gauges do not work when in output testing mode.

If I get a chance tomorrow evening I can confirm

Really though...if you're now running two pumps I'd be inclined to throw out the controller and just run the pumps normally. And unless there is a real good reason not to, I'd just run both pumps all the time.

Or if you wanted via an SSR you could run both pumps together with variable speed.

Whilst I can almost see why people want to stage pumps, it just goes against the keep it simple rule for me.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

I can confirm gauges do not work when in output testing mode.
Jason Bentley

Post by Jason Bentley »

stevieturbo wrote:I can confirm gauges do not work when in output testing mode.
Thank you for your help! The issue was the solder bridge (pull-up resistor) was not set for that output. The stock ECU needs a 5v signal for operation. I got it working last week.

Thanks again!

Jason
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

I am trying to use a solid state relay to drive my primary fuel pump.

Here is the way I wired everything up.

The Halltech controller uses a 1000 ohm pullup resistor between inputs 3 and 4.

Will I need the same?

Thanks

Hugh