CAN output to Plex micro SDM

dr_jones

CAN output to Plex micro SDM

Post by dr_jones »

Just fitted a micro SDM and connected to the S6plus - haven't completely finished configuring the PLEX CAN receive but right now I don't appear to be receiving any date at all - was expecting to at lest see RPM from the get go.

Datastream is set as Cusom CAN on both ends - don;t suppose anyone can think of something fundamental that I may have missed - eg not enabling CAN output at all etc etc.
stevieturbo

Re: CAN output to Plex micro SDM

Post by stevieturbo »

Have you set the Syvecs CAN output settings in SCal to match that as per Plex instructions ?

And likewise, loaded the correct CAN receive information from Plex ? There are templates on the Device manager software.
dr_jones

Post by dr_jones »

Well 'partially' in fairness - no instructions came with the uSDM - and there's still nothing but a a wiring diagram online so I was basign things on the SDM 500.

In the end it turned out to be the CAN bus speed - I was set @ 1.33 Mbit Syvecs - dropping this to 1 Mbit sorted the issue - which surprised me a little as I had based my config on the example config 'uSDM100_SYVECS_S6PLUS_996T_EXAMPLE.pdc' which is where the 1.33 Mbit Syvecs came from initially...
pat
Syvecs Staff - Cleaner

Post by pat »

Ed,

The S6GPPlus has two CAN buses, one is normally a link between the S6 and the Plus boards, and the other is normally for external use. In order for information to make its way to the Plex, it would typically go through the Plus and out on the other side, at 1Mbps. This will work unless the Plus is connected to a vehicle with has a specific requirement on the vehicle side - in that case the vehicle side is constrained by the vehicle's requirements. Sometimes it may be possible to send the CustomCAN frames out onto the vehicle bus, sometimes they clash and sometimes they don't clash but confuse the rest of the vehicle's controllers. In such cases the Plex may be attached to the internal CAN link (it can be brought out via the RS232 pins) but that link runs at 1.333Mbps. The file you had was for a 996 and that would not have had CustomCAN available on the vehicle side, ergo that config would have put the Plex on the "private" CAN bus.

A good rule of thumb, then, is - if the vehicle has a CAN bus and we are connected to it, then you'll be connecting at 1.333Mbps on the private bus, if the vehicle does not have a CAN bus (or we don't connect to it) then the "normal" external CAN pins are used and they will be at 1Mbps.

Hope this makes sense,

Pat.
dr_jones

Post by dr_jones »

Ah - I see - thanks Pat - yes that makes sense.