Wideband lambda operating current

tarmac terror

Wideband lambda operating current

Post by tarmac terror »

Hi folks, just about to spec some Deutsch Autosport connectors for my NTK LZA-09-E1 wideband sensor I'm shortly to purchase
However, what I need to know is what would be the highest current the sensor (and by that I'm specifically meaning pump and heater) would draw?

TBH, I can't even hazard a guess as to magnitude of current e.g are we talking milliamps or amps??

Any idea would be appreciated as there's a world of difference in the pricing of AS connectors between those that take 20-22AWG pins and those that take 16AWG pins. If I can utilise a smaller AS connector then I will!!

TT
TimH
JT Innovations

Re: Wideband lambda operating current

Post by TimH »

Size 20 pins will be fine (7.5A).

The S6 PnP wideband connector (horrible though it is!) is only rated at 5A and has proven reliable IME. A lambda heater may take around that at maybe -40C, but that's pretty exceptional!

All other pins are trivial in comparison.

Out of interest, why use Deutsch connectors rather than the standard Sumitomo? Is it size?
pavlo
Zen Performance

Post by pavlo »

Size 22 pins are also fine at 5 amp and make for a smaller package, but you will need to splice the wideband wires to some 22awg Raychecm (I would recommend 55 over 44) to get them into the size 22 pins. This is normal on the lab grade sensors that come from Life Racing, and I did the sensors for the Gobstopper II using size 22 pins in a 13way connector (has reduntancy for other sensors), Mil spec splices, 3 layers of DR-25 sleeving and DR-25 boots epoxied on.

Use Deautsch because the standard (for just that specific application of the L2H2) Sumitomo is bulky, not boot friendly and the latch is prone to breaking.
Benkku

Post by Benkku »

tarmac terror wrote:...magnitude of current e.g are we talking milliamps or amps?
Sensor heater would draw max. 3 amps when cold and 1 amps when hot. Maximum pumping current is few milliamps.
tarmac terror

Post by tarmac terror »

Brilliant!!

Thanks for all the replies folks..

TT