Aquamist Water Injection (Mappable 2S System) vs Solaris

Dan

Aquamist Water Injection (Mappable 2S System) vs Solaris

Post by Dan »

Ok fellas,

I need some advice on the best route to go down with my (as yet) brand new and unfitted Aquamist 2S water injection system.

I am going to be running the S6 Solaris on a mkiv Supra with a 67mm turbo; 99% of the usage will be on the road and therefore with Optimax/Tesco 99. I have a 2S WI system which contains ERL's MF2 unit which strikes me as a slightly "old skool" 3D injection system. This has some inbuilt fault detection such as blocked jets and can trigger an output to something like a bosst solenoid if setup that way to drop boost. I want to run one nozzle on the intercooler exit and then another either on the intercooler piping firing into the plenum. Can someone please give me a run down on the S6's WI control features - does it have 3D control and if so......can that control be successfully integrated into my 2S system?

Here's a few links to the 2S system. As thngs stand my only rela plan is to install it 100% as Aquamist say but that may be a bad idea if the Solaris can offer the same (or a better) level of control.

System Components
http://www.aquamist.co.uk/cp/sys2/sys2a.html

The MF2 Controller
http://www.aquamist.co.uk/cp/sys2/techs ... tecs2.html

Schematic Setup
http://www.aquamist.co.uk/cp/sys2/techs ... fig10.html

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Dan
Dan

Re: Aquamist Water Injection (Mappable 2S System) vs Solaris

Post by Dan »

Have I posted this in the correct section?
Ryan.g
Syvecs Staff - Caretaker

Post by Ryan.g »

Hi Dan

The S6 WI control is based on MAP, TPS and AIT. For these parameters you can assign a turn on and turn off amount.

IMO it would be best to use the Aquamist controller is it has a failsafe system which links to a flow sensor as the solaris can not do this.

You could always then use the failure output from Aquamist to trigger the limp mode on the Solaris which can be set to lower the rpm limit and map cut etc

Ryan
Wez
Santa's Little Helper

Post by Wez »

Are you going to be using the water/meth setup as an extra safety margin or you going to map for it?

If its just there for some extra safety then a setup similar to mine is fine, I have a switch on the dash that enables/disables the trigger wire on the pump, I then have the WI output on the solaris configured with the parameters that ryan mentioned to trigger the pump when enabled There is also an LED on the dash which comes on when the pump is running, doesnt mean water is being injected but shows when the pump is being activated. Works ok for me and I plan on adding a float switch to my tank so that it stops the pump activating if the water drops below a certain level.

Before this my 1s system was using the supplied pressure switch with no in car control, I had to pull the relay to disable it.

The added bonus of using the solaris is the logging, you can see when the water is activated and how it affects AFR, EGT and intake temps :)
96 MKIV Supra, S6GP, 591bhp & 523ft/lbs
Dan

Post by Dan »

Hey fellas - thanks for the replies.

(Ryan - sorry I missed your call the other day, I was in the garage till late and didn't have phone with me. Give me a call when you get a chance to chew over those few things)

Regarding the WI setup...I wasn't particularly planning on "tuning to suit the WI" other than via the temp reduction from my 1st injection jet which will be down in the sidepod area on the exit from the intercooler. My thinking was along the lines of that one keeping intake temps as low as possible especially in the summer driving so hopefully the ECU wouldn't have to venture too high into its intake temp corrections at any point. The second jet will be in the intercooler pipe just before the throttle body pointing to the top side of the throttle plate. This one would be the one for potential det supression and in cylinder cooling and I doubt the effect of thisone would even be registered by the IAT sensor. This one is definitely for back up/peace of mind/extra safety margin.

Wes - I don't think I can "dismantle" the 2S system to get it only controlled by the Solaris...or more like...I'm not sure how much work would be involved to do that. From what I gather the system I have keeps a line charged at up to 6bar (?) and then when the MF2 controller sends an output to the manifold block the flow is metered through to the jets. The valve in the manifold block cycles on and off at somethng like 25HZ to regulate flow according the the potentiometer based mapping in the MF2 controller.

If I go with Ryan's suggestion then at least I can get the WI installed and 99% setup myself as its functionality won't be integrated into the Solaris that much - possibly with one of the outputs going to the ECU for a safety override such as suggested.

Anyone here ever used Aquamist's MF2 injection controller? :D
Wez
Santa's Little Helper

Post by Wez »

Dan wrote:Anyone here ever used Aquamist's MF2 injection controller? :D
If I remember correctly Pat use to have one many years ago.
96 MKIV Supra, S6GP, 591bhp & 523ft/lbs
David_Wallis

Post by David_Wallis »

He did and from what I remember it didnt have a lid either!