Fake flex fuel sensor

ders

Fake flex fuel sensor

Post by ders »

Hi All,

Looking for anyone who's got experience with the Continental type flex fuel sensors and how to spot potential fakes.

I've just received one, from what I considered to be a low risk vendor, and it arrived with a silver sticker designated SE1002S on. It wasn't adhered particularly well so curiosity got the better of me and I lifted it to reveal that, for some reason, the part number has deliberately been ground off :?

Serial batch number is 1726200208

Any opinions welcomed :D
stevieturbo

Re: Fake flex fuel sensor

Post by stevieturbo »

pictures ?

Is it branded Continental ? Any QR type codes etc on it ?

I bought one from the US a while back, and the price did seem cheaper than average although it was part of a kit. But quality etc of the piece lead me to believe it is genuine.
Havent got around to using it though.

But the Americans seem to love all the fake Chinese stuff on the market
ders

Post by ders »

Yes branded Continental as per the picture. There's is a QR code on the side which is just a number '60227872'.
Attachments
PicsArt_02-14-09.14.53.jpg
PicsArt_02-14-09.14.53.jpg (140.29 KiB) Viewed 10416 times
ders

Post by ders »

After some Googling I did find one other source on an eBay store that appears to be scored out but I can't for the life of me figure out why.

Most sensors are either 13577394 or 13577379

It was from a well known supplier so perhaps I'm being a little paranoid...
Attachments
20200214_210325.jpg
20200214_210325.jpg (483.82 KiB) Viewed 10416 times
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Pretty sure mine had the code laser etched into it.

I'm sure I did take photos....damned if I know where they are now.

Mine was a different design of sensor.

Although quality of the item in your picture looks to be good ? Plastic casting, markings etc

I opted for this, rather than cocking about with multiple fittings and tee's or Y pieces for a high flowing setup. Probably overkill.

https://www.powerhouseracing.com/produc ... el-adapter

Some sellers just erase part numbers either so people wont google and buy elsewhere, or they may claim it's something different than others are selling.
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

When the fitting of after-market flex fuel sensors was unheard of, the first few suppliers bought the Continental sensor, ground numbers off, then stuck a label over it to pass it off as their own.

These days, the parts are well known, but someone somewhere obviously still thinks they are still to be kept secret :roll:

Stevie - interesting one. The sensors have a 3/8" hard pipe, and take -6 fittings. Above a certain power (don't ask me what the threshold is) it does not flow enough so needs a bypass. That PHR item solves the problem neatly and easily - and not a silly stupid price. Not come across it before :geek:
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Yea, it was the only one I seen I was happy to buy, the other options with lots of fittings were always messy.

But also yea....even a -6 can flow for over 1k, so not sure what level a bypass is actually needed.

In my case although I run a lot of pump, I'm PWM'ing the pumps so actual flow both in, and obviously out the return would be far less than if running the pumps flat out all the time

But the PHR part was cool, not too expensive..so do it right first time.
ders

Post by ders »

Thanks for the response Tim. Everything about the sensor looks legit, it just struck me as odd that the part number was ground off.

I wont have issues with the fittings in my application nor a flow issue. In fact, it'll probably hold some kind of record for the least bhp running on a Syvecs :lol: