Ethernet connection issue

Stihlman2010

Ethernet connection issue

Post by Stihlman2010 »

Hi there I’m new to syvecs. I have a fairly new laptop. Maybe 3 months old. I have checked wiring of the comms cable into the harness and at the plug end. All is good. I turn ignition on in the car and plug the Ethernet cable into the laptop. I’ve opened SCal and hit D and C to connect. But it just says, cannot find ECU. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a certain driver I need to install for the laptop to talk to the ECU? I’m supposed to have a mapping session on Thursday night and I can’t even connect to the ECU. All help appreciated

Thankyou
matt-c

Re: Ethernet connection issue

Post by matt-c »

it should just work.

double click the snet server in the system tray and then adapters select, all your network interfaces, or at least the correct one for your wired connection should be checked.

Also sometimes a reboot can help, but i guess you already tried that.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Yep, it should just work.

Is the ecu definitely powered up ?

Does the port on the laptop definitely work ?

I bought a good used laptop once off ebay, only to find the port didnt work. It had never been an issue for the seller though as they had simply never used it, as they always used WiFi
Stihlman2010

Post by Stihlman2010 »

Thanks for the replies. Yes the laptop works fine as the ecu has since connected ok and now it’s back to ‘unidentified network access’ and it won’t find the ecu when I open SCal. It just says ‘no devices found’ I’m at the end of my tether. It’s on the dyno and not playing ball. It connected perfect yesterday for initial base runs and today. Nothing
MReilly

Post by MReilly »

Are you running all of the syvecs programs with administrator privileges allowed, including the SNET server?
Stihlman2010

Post by Stihlman2010 »

To be honest I’m not 100% sure on that one. How do I go about checking that out?
MReilly

Post by MReilly »

When you start any of the programs windows should kind of go dark and ask you for permission to run it if you have admin rights set.

If the Syvecs server is set with administrator privilages then when you first start the laptop up you should get the permission box pop up, this is because the snet server should fire itself up when windows starts.

That's how mine does it anyway.

You'll find the options to run each program by looking for the program in your start menu and right clicking it. Go to Properties, Compatibility tab, tick the box for run as administrator. Roughly. Google will help if that description doesn't.

I don't know for certain that you need to do this, or that it will help, but I do know that my computer would be very intermittent on connecting, and wouldn't let me open more than one syvecs program at a time, until I did this.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

uninstall and re-install the software ?

Try a different laptop ?
AlBoulton

Post by AlBoulton »

Hi,
Did this ever get solved?
Having exactly the same problem, tried new PC, new lead, same problem.
Came on the forum and read this thread so tried a few things, on one PC when I try to run SCal in admin mode I get a pop up saying cant start snetserver, on my laptop if I try the same SCal loads but I can't see snetserver in the task manager so assume it isn't running.
Yesterday I was blaming the ecu, now I'm blaming microsoft!

Any thoughts?
AlBoulton

Post by AlBoulton »

Just uninstalled everything, downloaded latest syvecs install and installed it as admin (noticed that trying it not as admin led to the ethernet driver not being installed).
Ran up SCal as admin, snetserver running but still no comms :(

I did notice that when it installed, it listed Win7 and vista ethernet drivers as being installed - shouldn't it be Win10 drivers to avoid compatibility issues?