Launch Control Settings

stevieturbo

Re: Launch Control Settings

Post by stevieturbo »

Speed allows you to build in slip targets for launch.

Timer is probably more suited to 4wd stuff.

But you need to test and find what works best for you.
Grabla66

Post by Grabla66 »

I'm at Mallory Park next wednesday Stevie, I'll try a few different settings out.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

If your logging config allows it, make sure you're logging suitable info to assess what's going on.
Grabla66

Post by Grabla66 »

Since the unlock I can now see tcSpinErr, tcSpinTarg, tcTrq, radarSpeed (and other radar channels, no idea what they are), rl and rr speed channels, a load of wg channels (again no idea what they are) ie wg3MapErrPct1, wgIgnRtd1, plus paddleSwitch channels.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

those are traction and boost control items ( wastegate )

None of those are launch, athough you may ( or may not ) already have all the launch items anyway.
Grabla66

Post by Grabla66 »

I've installed scal and downloaded the sample file from this thread, and started comparing my map with the sample map, and even my base engine speed is nothing like the one in the sample.

Is base engine speed like an artificial rev limiter, which in the case of the example above, up to 67.6 kph limits the engine speed during launch according to the rpm profile (as shown on the graph)? In my cal it goes up as high as 9mph, and then the base engine speed rises to 25000rpm therefore passing the engine limit back to the preset maximum rpm of 7350rpm on my engine.

This is what launch feels like, the car accelerates and then the engine just hits the limiter and all hell breaks loose, at which point traction control has taken over and is doing its very best to restrict wheel speeds, though with no lateral G as I'm going off in a straight line, I dont know what exactly its trying to do.

Should I change my base engine speed to reflect the speeds / rpm in the example? My exit speed for launch is 10mph which is probably why base engine speed is only set up to 9.3mph?

If I knew what to baseline first, before I start looking at making other changes, I might stand a better chance of getting this working to my liking.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Base engine speed is a rev limiter when launch is active ( ie when speed is below a threshold, and PPS/TPS above )

I mentioned before that your launch was odd, as 10mph is nothing. Configure as speed based and fill in these tables so they make sense to allow rpm to be a little higher than road speed which is basically your wheel slip target for the duration of launch you want in 1st gear.

ie plot your 1st gear speed vs rpm chart via gearing, and then lift the rpm values up a bit. But again, test, log, and review how much slip etc this offers you.

The help file at the bottom also gives a description of operation.

Let launch do it's thing, and only when it expires or is above the launch exit speed, should TC take over.

Exit launch speed as I mentioned in a previous post....not 100% sure on that, as the help file seems to conflict a little as one says it is where launch does exit...another says it is where the launch hold timer begins.
Whether that's a recent FW change has altered that, or whatever...dont know.
I had mine set at 50mph, ie where launch control would shut off. And as I said it did seem to offer a controlled ramp of rpm for the duration of the launch ok. But it was only at 50mph the launch hold timer began. Although maybe as I'm not actually using the timer as I'm speed based...maybe it doesnt matter.

I'll maybe go out and try both later and see, havent driven the car for a while anyway.
Grabla66

Post by Grabla66 »

While I'm having a look at the spin target maps, I think the same calibration switch (tcSelect) also selects the Tyre Types in my CAL.

Is that how the relationship with calibration switches works? The same switch 'tcSelect' can be assigned to tyre type?

If that is the case, I'll set the tyre type switch to use dry for positions TC01-TC04, then wet for positions TC05-08 and set the spin target map select to show base map 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4 for positions TC01-TC08

That will give me 8 traction control settings. TC01-TC04 for the dry tyre type, and TC05-TC08 for the wet tyre type.

I had wired in an additional switch to let me select Tyre Type, but as I cant change the cal myself to recognise that switch, I'll modify the settings above instead.

stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Correct with above and pretty much same as what I do.

Although I have one of the 8 TC Cal's set to disable traction control altogether.
Grabla66

Post by Grabla66 »

I've set the gain for TC9 to 12 to 0 to do that.