Connection to Plex

TimH
JT Innovations

Re: Connection to Plex

Post by TimH »

TimH wrote:You CANNOT have I/O assigned to a slave, AND have GPS receive enabled. It's nothing to do with terminations, connections, or whatever - the ECU will complain as the config is invalid. The single CANbus cannot support both.

It's a shame that this is not clearer from Syvecs/Plex.
This has changed recently. Latest S6 firmware allows Life Racing, Syvecs or JTi GPS receivers to send full GPS data on the same CANbus that's running the slave. You can also send CAN EGT data in on the same bus - either Syvecs or (soon to be launched) JTi versions.

JTi expander (will soon) support wheel speed data using the Bosch M4 ABS protocol, so you can get the benefit of GPS, and 4 additional inputs (albeit only wheel speeds) all on the standard 1Mbit/s CAN.

The Plex can receive dash data on a slave link (1.33Mbit/s CAN) but you would not be able to send CAL up/down messages back in. The X10 also translates the outgoing 1.33Mbit/s generic transmit datastream from the S6 to 1Mbit/s allowing all other devices (e.g. Toucan) to receive data. It is data back in to the S6 that is limited in this scenario to: slave data; GPS; EGT.

Bottom line - your S6 and an expander, plus a GPS unit, could all have been made to work.

That said, an S8 is a nice bit of kit :)
C. Ludwig

Post by C. Ludwig »

The new Plex firmware combined with the S8 is really a treat. We now full implementation of all 3 trim switches and 3 digital switches through the dash. The S6 and S6Plus are limited to a single trim switch. All of the switches are now user definable as well.
Attachments
27459863_10156050486079509_2792804207856905765_n.jpg
27459863_10156050486079509_2792804207856905765_n.jpg (70.28 KiB) Viewed 18002 times
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Yea, that screen never did work correctly with my S6.

That said, I would never want to use that method for actually changing cal anyway. I like the simplicity, speed, reliability of a rotary mechanical switch I can always get a visual on.
So I dont even use that screen at all now.

Although it's handy that the Plex does a pop up when you change Cal too.
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

I have a customer who wants to use those controls on his Plex, but has an S6. Because he will also have our GPS/expander unit, I will be enhancing the software to receive the packets from the Plex and transpose them to "virtual inputs" - so TC Cal (for example) might be in Slave input 20. I will add the same screen functionality to Toucan as well.

Minority interest, maybe, but might help others...means you can have control of much more, even on an S6, but does mean you need the expander to do it.
MarkVI

Post by MarkVI »

I run a Syvecs S6+ with a SDM-500 GPS Syvecs Edition in my Mitsubishi Evo and this combo seems no to work like advertised. :cry:
The cal-switches on the dash and the datastream back to the syvecs are not working properly. I can’t dial the maps via the Plex and the syvecs cant receive, for example, the GPS Data.
My mechanic contacted both Plex and Syvecs and it seems, that the firmware of the S6+ Is the problem.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

The Cal/TC switching via the dash has never worked as far as I am aware.

It can work for the S8 I think though, but the S6 CAN is the limitation. But TBH....a nice mechanical switch really is a better option.
cturbo28

Post by cturbo28 »

TimH wrote:I have a customer who wants to use those controls on his Plex, but has an S6. Because he will also have our GPS/expander unit, I will be enhancing the software to receive the packets from the Plex and transpose them to "virtual inputs" - so TC Cal (for example) might be in Slave input 20. I will add the same screen functionality to Toucan as well.

Minority interest, maybe, but might help others...means you can have control of much more, even on an S6, but does mean you need the expander to do it.

Just be careful with adding the Expander to the S6. That is why I started the thread to learn more about that. S6 with Expander did not work with the Plex at all. But with that said it could have been user error (me) but to resolve my issues I had to move up to an S8 with out the expansion unit with the plex. Fortunately the master mind of C. Ludwig got it all figured out for me.
Carter
93 Semi P-port 2 rotor RX7
BW EFR 8374 turbo 1.05
EWP, EPS, DBW
Set up for SSM Auto cross
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Whilst the 6+ is a very capable ecu, the fact it is a 6 with a CAN expander built in, does pose its own limitations for any future upgrades.

IMO there needs to be serious thought when selecting ecu's at this level/price. If you dont need the comms features the + offers for integration with OEM applications, then often the 8 will be the more future proof choice.

I first ran my Plex with the base S6 and it could certainly receive GPS/Accel data etc. The Cal switching never worked, but that didnt bother me as changing Cal via the screen/joystick of the Plex would be a nightmare when actually driving. Seems more a novelty than an actual useful function. And when racing, little beat the simplicity and certainty of a click switch/dial.
MarkVI

Post by MarkVI »

Thank you for the information stevieturbo. We will mount an external click switch for dialing the maps.
I‘m just a little bit disappointed, as features are promissed which are are not working properly.
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

stevieturbo wrote:Whilst the 6+ is a very capable ecu, the fact it is a 6 with a CAN expander built in, does pose its own limitations for any future upgrades.

IMO there needs to be serious thought when selecting ecu's at this level/price. If you dont need the comms features the + offers for integration with OEM applications, then often the 8 will be the more future proof choice.
I shouldn't say this on the Syvecs forum lol, but depending on requirements there are some very capable Life Racing offerings, with dual CAN, H-bridges etc., with quite competitive prices (once you've worked through the added-cost options!!). But it really really does just depend on what you need in the way of features.