Connection to Plex

cturbo28

Connection to Plex

Post by cturbo28 »

Just wondering if anyone has had this message pop up and what to do if so? Message " Only one addition to CAN datastream allowed" pops up when connecting to SCal and the device is "not in sync" until you choose NONE on the datastream.

S6 with I/O 10 expansion port.
Plex SDM 500 with GPS (not communicating with S6)
Attachments
picture of device message
picture of device message
Capture.PNG (8.42 KiB) Viewed 24233 times
Carter
93 Semi P-port 2 rotor RX7
BW EFR 8374 turbo 1.05
EWP, EPS, DBW
Set up for SSM Auto cross
TimH
JT Innovations

Re: Connection to Plex

Post by TimH »

When running an I/O expander, the CANbus becomes dedicated to the expander. You must have selected some other incoming datastream.

That said, I believe the Plex can co-exist with an I/O expander - but probably only to receive data.
cturbo28

Post by cturbo28 »

Tim,

The plex CAN1 connected to the CAN bus 2 on the Expansion box. The CAN1 is used to slave the unit which is working. Not sure if this helps or not. Note with or with out a termination resistor the same message appears so I am guessing the S6 just does not like the custom CAN enable in the datastream. I did contact Plex but just posted this since someone out there might have had a similar issue with a similar set up as me.
Carter
93 Semi P-port 2 rotor RX7
BW EFR 8374 turbo 1.05
EWP, EPS, DBW
Set up for SSM Auto cross
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

Not familiar with the Plex...but how does it get the GPS data to the S6?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

TimH wrote:Not familiar with the Plex...but how does it get the GPS data to the S6?
Plex sends via LR Receive.

It will send GPS and Accel data in this manner ( when configured to send it of course )

But as far as I know that is all it is able to transmit to the S6.

Everything else is received via the custom CAN table, and again the Plex needs configured to receive this data. They do supply templates of data though but it is fully configurable which in many ways is great...but can also add complication.

Earlier versions the CAN receive was fixed so no idea what version this guy has or is using etc.

Either way there are setups already available for each for both receive and transmit for the LR Receive bit. Although as you say, if the Plex is connected to the I/O expander, no idea how that might relay data back to the ecu, if indeed it even can
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

And that's the point... when an S6 is connected to an expander, it cannot receive any other information via CAN bus. It's not the fault of the Plex, just the way it is.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Would that then apply to their own GPS module ?

It's a more technical query, Ryan/Pat would be better placed to advise. Although I know Ioannis from Plex has done a lot of testing with them too, so always worth sending them an email. They usually reply pretty quickly.

But the S6 definitely has limitations
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

Yes, it's also true of the Syvecs/Life Racing GPS units.

The slave protocol dominates the CAN RX function of the ECU, although the ECU can still TX the generic datastream for dash products (albeit it at a non-standard CAN data rate!!).
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

I'm just glad I dont know what it all means lol

Would there be no way to hook up the Dash/GPS to the I/O Expander and the expander relay that information to the ecu ? Or does it not work like that ?
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

No reason an expander (or CAN bridge) can't relay info to the S6 in theory, as long as the parameters in question are available as "real" inputs in the S6 I/O assignments.

This is how I get GPS-derived speed to the S6 using RADAR speed as the input assignment with our own expander. Similarly accelerometer data etc.

But GPS latitude and longitude are not available as physical inputs.

And the X10 would need to have software to do this translation: to "listen" to data from the Plex, translate it, and dump it back out on the slave connection.