Power up issue

dr_jones

Power up issue

Post by dr_jones »

Just got around to fitting a new S6P in my 1997 v3 Sti impreza and it seems I have a fundamental issue.

After fitting the supplied adaptor loom and powering up I found I could not connect to the ECU - and suspected a 12v supply issue - also noticed the CEL was very dimly lit.

After a little investigation I've found that the unit is powered up when the ign key is in the OFF position or removed - then once switched to RUN the unit is powered off again (so i can connect when the ign is off but not when the ign is on).

Pins B7 / B13 / B19 all sit at +12v with the ign OFF and drop to +6v with the ign ON - / - B6 does have a constant 12v feed.

I'm guessing (but not certain) this is related to Pin A1 which "PULLS TO GROUND AS DEFAULT WHEN ACTIVATED VIA MAIN RELAY SWITCH C28" - question is - do I need to somehow reverse this behaviour or is my real issue somewhere else?

Any help would be much appreciated!!

-Ed.
stevieturbo

Re: Power up issue

Post by stevieturbo »

Can you post what numbering system or schematic you're referencing to ?

As some of the pin numbers seem strange from references I have.

eg ( TT but essentially the same minus the TT stuff )

http://reuben.xpjets.com/random/97-98ecu-pinout.pdf

http://www.syvecs.com/downloads/Pinouts ... Pinout.pdf

eg, A1 is part of idle control.

The B7, 13 and should be sensor grounds on any Subaru charts.
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

Unusual to be using a loom adapter for this - why not a PnP? Just wondering if the loom adapter was for custom/modified wiring or something?
dr_jones

Post by dr_jones »

Thanks chaps - Wasn't expecting a reply on Sunday night!

Here's my current schematic - (when I say A1, B7, B13, B19 - I mean the Syvecs pin refs not the Subaru ones.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/202 ... edit_1.xls

Loom adaptor is there as I went for the S6P over the S6PNP for the dual wideband / Knocks etc - none of which I'm implementing now (projects for the future).

I'll spend some more time in tomorrow as trying to figure it out ...right now I'm a little stumped.

Cheers,

-Ed.
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

Sorry - missed the fact it was an S6P (S6 GP+) - thought it was the GP (non plus). Must pay more attention :roll: :mrgreen: :lol:
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Trace B7/13/19 then and see what actual ecu pins they go to on the vehicle side.

Likewise A1.

And presumably there is a map in the ecu that will actually control the main relay to allow it to power up in the first place ? Bit of chicken and egg there maybe ?
dr_jones

Post by dr_jones »

Cheers:

Syvecs:........Subaru:
A1..............B22
B7'..............B1
B9..............(N/A - output to Lam +12v but currently disconnected during this troubleshooting)
B13.............B2

I note that with Syvecs pin A1 ign sw on/off no voltage appears at the pin and the pin *does* pull to ground (ie chassis ground and pin A1 become connected) - I think this is the opposite behaviour to desired.

Currently there is no map loaded into the ECU - so yes as you say a bit of a chicken and egg situation.

I do have a CAL prepared - but can't currently upgrade the ECU s/w to the correct version (1.69) as SCfg is throwing the error "device is not loaded in main config" and wont dump the current cfg.

-Ed.
Last edited by dr_jones on Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

SCfg is only for logging setup ?
dr_jones

Post by dr_jones »

Oh! - the manual states SCfg its used to upgrade the f/w - could be a typo I guess(?)

"Download the Latest firmware and open in without connecting the Ethernet from the Ecu. Click space bar to exit when no devices has been found and then close (this load the firmware template into Scal).
Now reconnect the Ethernet cable to the ECU and open SCfg – Click Device – Get Config Once loaded, click change software version. Select the Latest Firmware you have just ran the .exe for and then once changed click File/Save and rename so you can reload later."

I'll have a look and see if SCal does the same function.

Also - just realised I made an error when working out Syvec pin A1's behaviour - it *DOES* indeed pull to ground when the ign sw in on (ie Syvecs C28 is +12v)

From what I can tell so far A1 needs to go to +12v and not ground to activate the main relay - at lease I think it does!

-Ed.
dr_jones

Post by dr_jones »

Oh - I need to read further - the first two parts appear to be only related to backing up prior to updating.