Crank setup

TimR

Crank setup

Post by TimR »

Hi,
I’m currently trying to configure a S6Plus to my engine. The engine is running with the normal ECU, injection and Ignition, I only try to get some sensors to work at the moment.
I want to run it in 360° mode without cam Sensor. Therefore I have a custom 30-2 crankwheel and a Hall-Sensor. If I set the Crank and Cam Type to generic – unsynchronized I can’t find a setup with Number of Crank teeth = 28 that is accepted.
I tried a Single Gap Single Cam setup with 28 Teeth & 2 Gap definitions with 12° & 36° and 27 & 1 repeats. Then, I can get a correct rpm signal without crank errors, but only if I set Crank Tooth Maximum Width to 40° for both. So I’m afraid the missing tooth aren’t detected correctly.

Can someone give me a hint what configuration should work properly?

Thank very much in advance!
stevieturbo

Re: Crank setup

Post by stevieturbo »

I'm not saying this is right....but I use a 36-1 ( albeit with cam sensor too ), so I'm working your 30-2 based around what I have. 30-2 is a little unusual though ?

But give it a try, obviously you'll need to sort your own trigger angle etc as to where missing tooth is relative to TDC and verify timing when it's running ( baring in mind wasted spark can flash double with some dialback lights etc ), and your own settings relevant to your crank sensor type etc.

It seems happy enough accepting the numbers ok. not 100% sure about the gap tooth widths etc. On my setup they do add up to 360deg....even though strictly speaking actual gaps wouldnt so I've done the 30-2 in a similar manner to mine which works.

A 30 tooth wheel would have 28 actual teeth and 28 gaps

As you dont have a cam sensor, none of those settings would be relevant.

Mind you...I could be miles off with this !
Attachments
ExampleCalibration 30-2.SC
my guess for 30-2 generic unsychronised
(359.56 KiB) Downloaded 733 times
TimR

Post by TimR »

Thanks a lot for your fast response! I’ll try it later.
pat
Syvecs Staff - Cleaner

Post by pat »

Tim,

The ECU is NOT supposed to run in 360 sync, so there is no sync option for it - the only exception is for engines that cannot run in 720 like a Wankel engine, but you have an Otto motor. This means that you must choose a pattern that will give 720 sync (like single gap single cam) and you must assign a cam sensor input. If you don't connect the cam sensor then the ECU will not get into 720, but it will sync up in 360. This is really only intended for getting the engine running before going 720, so you will lose the ability to do things like cam control, knock detection etc if you stay in 360 sync....

That said.... you describe your trigger wheel as 30-2. This means that the normal gap width will be 12 degrees and your wide gap will be 36 degrees. So you need to define 28 gaps, which will be 12, 36, 12, 12, 12 etc. The gap ratio should probably be in the region of 2.25. Max gap widths will be in the region of 18, 54, 18, 18, 18 etc and minimum should be around 6, 18, 6, 6, 6 etc. You don't need to use the repeats for this pattern since it is short enough to fit into the pattern buffer. Note that the missing 2 teeth creates ONE gap, not two.

Hope this helps,

Pat.
TimR

Post by TimR »

Thanks a lot, Pat!
The 360 sync is alright to me, I'm just getting the engine running. It works fine after setting Cam and crank type to single gap single cam and assigning cam to an input.