Full H-bridge

Sute

Full H-bridge

Post by Sute »

Guys,

Got Turbosmart Ewastegate and have a thought to drive it via X10. Wastegate requires 20amps (I guess that is max) and wonder if X10 is capable of providing that from half bridge 3 and 4? Driving DBW from half bridges 1 and 2 currently and these should provide 20 amps max according to LR manual. But what about 3 & 4 then?
Ryan.g
Syvecs Staff - Caretaker

Re: Full H-bridge

Post by Ryan.g »

H Bridge 3 and 4 are same circuit BUT none of the H Bridges can handle 20Amp constantly! Only a peak

I would say not to use more than 25 and 75% on the duties and avoid using I term in the control so you don't wind up and have high duty for a long time!
MReilly

Post by MReilly »

I'd also probably wire it with an inline fuse, you could always remove it once you're happy if you didn't want to keep it there.
Sute

Post by Sute »

Thank you sirs. Running quite low back pressure (Garret GTX 4202R with Tial 1.30 housing) in 2.0 litre engine that would probably make life easier amperage wise. According to Turbosmart 20 amps should be max in very high back pressure applications. I see max 2-2.3 bar emap with 3-3.3 bar boost.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

MReilly wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:33 pm I'd also probably wire it with an inline fuse, you could always remove it once you're happy if you didn't want to keep it there.
It's a good point...and for any "power" ecu outputs too...

Do they even have any overcurrent protection built in ? For the internals themselves, or indeed the external wiring etc ?

And likely it'd need both lines fused ?
Ryan.g
Syvecs Staff - Caretaker

Post by Ryan.g »

We are developing an external controller for them with a new piece of hardware to be able to handle the full current requirements

But the H Bridges on the S7plus will deal with it if calibrated correctly with just P and D term
albeR/To

Post by albeR/To »

I'm trying to control the same eWastegate with an old Syvecs H-Bridge because I don't have enough outputs, but it looks like it 's not working...
Sute

Post by Sute »

Okay, trying to get this working but no luck. I´m seeing only 5 volts coming out from pins 21 and 22 (H-Bridge 3 and 4). I suppose this should give me 12 volts. Wastegate control1 is assigned under I/O configuration to "SLAVE1 OUT #13". DBW is connected to pins 4 and 30 (H-Bridge 1 & 2) and works great.

So why only 5 volts from pins 21 and 22?

EDIT: Under Wastegate control, Output Drive Type is is set as "Full-Bridge". But could the wastegate control limit the voltage output when engine is stopped and only ignition/key is on? I have set wastegate control enabled when throttle position is 0, engine speed 0 and bap offset is 0.

There´s dedicated function under Supercharger Bypass Valve as "Enabled When Engine Stopped" but not under Wastegate control.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Under what duty/freq is the output you're saying there is 5v ?

And how are you determining this voltage ? Really, on an active H-Bridge PWW output....the only way to measure what is actually happening is with a scope.

5v on a multimeter could simply mean it's around say 40-50% duty.
Sute

Post by Sute »

stevieturbo wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:35 pm Under what duty/freq is the output you're saying there is 5v ?

And how are you determining this voltage ? Really, on an active H-Bridge PWW output....the only way to measure what is actually happening is with a scope.

5v on a multimeter could simply mean it's around say 40-50% duty.
Thanks for your input. You´re right, it is PWM, but multimeter is showing constant 5.62 volts from both outputs and the Wastegate valve do not move at all even though I change duty from 100 to 0 % or somewhere between. BUT looking at the conditions on software, it enables wastegate control when engine rpm and TPS is exceeding the set value. Hence I am just in heat of installing engine, I cannot run it, so naturally I can´t get any rpm. Setting rpm 0 and tps 0 % does not perhaps help as the rpm should exceed 0.