Camshaft sensor (Phase) setup

For Subaru Technical Chat
EMS

Camshaft sensor (Phase) setup

Post by EMS »

I have a problem in one car, getting cam sensor error every now and then. I have used the same Cam Sensor setup as used in other cars without trouble. What can I do? We have tried several cam sensors, the last one we fitted didn't gave any trouble on the dyno, but on the track we had cam errors again. I am using the following cam sensor settings:

- Sensor Type: 5V bipolar
- Input filter: No (as Pat explained me once that the input filtering doesn't do anything to the signal the ECU is "seeing")
- High Trigger Threshold: 2.7V
- Low Trigger Threshold: 0.44V
- Signal Trigger Edge: Falling

I am using Subaru G11 trigger wheels.

P.S. Can the distance between cam sensor and trigger wheel be the cause? I am using a Cosworth bracket to mount the sensor, as I am using later heads who don't have the possibility to fit a "phase" cam sensor. The distance between sensor and trigger wheel is perhaps a bit smaller than usual, but not much. Will check that too.

Hope someone can help...

Mark.
pavlo
Zen Performance

Re: Camshaft sensor (Phase) setup

Post by pavlo »

For the phase sensor try with input filtering on. And you also need to pull some sync logs from when the error occurs and you may want to change the threshold levels again. But for "something to try" use 3v for the high and 0 (zero) for the low thresholds which should hopefully reject more noise spikes that might be causing an issue.

But the sync log is your friend.
EMS

Post by EMS »

Thanks Paul!

I did use sync log once, but that was with cranking engine only. I don't have a Syvecs equiped car here to test with, can you shortly explain how to pull a sync log? Does it log as standard and I just push the "syncError" button after the error has occured when the "view sync log" screen is opened?

Mark.
pavlo
Zen Performance

Post by pavlo »

Correct, but it's not a guarantee it will show you what you need every time.
EMS

Post by EMS »

Will check, thanks!