Formula Ford EcoBoost 1.6T

For customer project blogs and discussion
TimH
JT Innovations

Re: Formula Ford EcoBoost 1.6T

Post by TimH »

CAN 2 on the X10 is a "pass through" of the custom CAN datastream, but bridged over to the usual 1MBit/s. It is useful on the S6 which only has 1 CAN interface.

But on an S8, as has been said, use the second CAN interface on the ECU instead.

The S*<->X10 interface is dedicated and cannot be shared with any other device - it runs at a non-standard speed and is running at nearly 100% bandwidth utilisation.
Grabla66

Post by Grabla66 »

Got it, thanks guys.
I'll ammend my diagram.

CAN #2 on my ECU is not wired in and modifying the 88 pin connector doesn't look easy.
Grabla66

Post by Grabla66 »

This is how the diagram looks now

http://www.zetecinside.com/xr2/pictures ... iagram.PNG

These ecu's were made for the ff championship in 2012, and have limited io. If it doesn't have CAN#2 what are my options for connecting the X10?
Grabla66

Post by Grabla66 »

I've added pins 79 and 80 for CAN #2 Hi and Lo, and I've wired in the X10 expander. Adding the wires was easier than I expected. I removed the heatshrink boot from the back shell, undid the screw, and slid the connector out. The pins were from RS, http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pcb-conne ... s/7180850/ and I used shielded 2-core Raychem cable.

So now I can add the rear wheel speed sensors to the X10. :D
And the paddles and the rotary switches for launch and traction control adjustment.
Grabla66

Post by Grabla66 »

Oh, and the radiator fan works BTW. The relay was already fitted, but this car never fitted the fan. All I had to do was wire in the feed from the relay, to the fan, and when the engine reached 95C it switched on, and switched off when the temperature dropped to 92C. :D So the ECU was already setup to operate it. Sweet.

And its a Life F88R, not the full GDI4, these ecu's were custom built for the FF Championships, and have a GDI daughterboard inside.
Grabla66

Post by Grabla66 »

After all the research, and planning , we managed 313bhp and 261ftlb on the dyno on Monday.

The X10 module just worked and I now have traction control, launch control, and four calibration maps to select from.

Just got to fit the paddles and valves for pneumatic gear changes which we also unlocked on Monday.
Wez
Santa's Little Helper

Post by Wez »

Nice work.
96 MKIV Supra, S6GP, 591bhp & 523ft/lbs
Grabla66

Post by Grabla66 »

In 2018, the car was tuned again, and this time we found over 300ftlb, which makes it very quick to drive, and I finished 9th in the championship so I get to run number 9 this year.

Last summer Ford agreed to open up the paid for elements of the ECU so I can now make changes to launch and traction control, paddle shift and a free others besides.

Any suggestions as to where to start regards optimising launch and traction?

I've documented some of the settings here.
https://www.zetecinside.com/xr2/downloa ... ration.pdf