Any issues with this SyncLog?

For Toyota Technical Chat.
davecarroll

Any issues with this SyncLog?

Post by davecarroll »

Hi All,

Hoping for some assistance.
My single turbo build was running and idling, although with some difficulty due to a bad ECT sensor. I fitted a new sensor and new wiring and SCal shows it to read the correct temp now.

Unfortunately, after I did this, I tried to start the car again, on cranking I pumped the throttle again (as I had to do this to get it to fire before the sensor change). This caused no fire but a couple misfires, a pop and now the car will only turn over, no attempt to fire at all.

I have diagnosed a no spark issue, and believed it to be the crank sensor due to worn wiring - a new sensor has not fixed the fault.

I have attached the sync log taken today, which I have no experience reading so the first question is: does this look like a good healthy signal for the cam and crank sensors, or does something look out of place?

Car is a 1993 Toyota Supra, V160 manual with Syvecs S6GP and a Borg Warner SXE369 turbo with accompanying fuel and ignition system upgrades.

NOTE: the only thing I have noticed different (although this doesnt mean nothing else has changed as I may not have noticed) on the Toucan or in SCal is Fuel Pressure reading. The reading reads only 81mBar now, but my analogue gauge using the same pickup point still reads 5Bar as before - the Toucan used to show the same pressure as the analogue gauge - this has me confused...
Attachments
non spark 25022018 A.txt
(206.35 KiB) Downloaded 704 times
stevieturbo

Re: Any issues with this SyncLog?

Post by stevieturbo »

The lines do go green so this would indicate it is syncing up, so there should be some attempt to start based on that alone.

Of course that isnt to say other factors may prevent starting.

How are you determining no spark ? And is this one or all cylinders ?

And yes, fuel pressure reading could be an issue especially if there are any starting/running limitations in force based around fuel pressure.

What is fuel pressure reading on the ecu during priming and just key on, but pump off before attempting to start ? Is it behaving as you expect ? If yo unplug the sensor what happens to the reading ?
davecarroll

Post by davecarroll »

I determined no spark by removing the coils and grounding the spark plug, then cranking. No spark.
I am a little paranoid though so I will double check this again tomorrow evening.
I haven't checked for all 6 cylinders, but 2, and neither sparked, which leads me to think it must be a common point in the system.

RE fuel pressure, during priming the ecu reading is 81 (so the toucan gauge actually shows 0). Before attempting to start, with pump off, no change.
Whilst cranking, the reading increases to something in the 2000 range, but still nowhere near as high as it did when the engine would actually start.

I will double check the no spark diagnosis, as well as see what difference unplugging the fuel pressure sensor makes, if any, and feedback.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Check the Cal to see if there are any settings to prevent starting unless fuel pressure is above a certain amount. With that scope trace....the sidebar should be indicating 720sync so all else being well it should be attempting to start ( ie fire injectors and sparks )
davecarroll

Post by davecarroll »

Will check the Cal tonight.
Are there any obvious areas of the Cal I should be looking at to check this? I have checked the fueling and starting areas before in case something jumped out but didn't notice anything. I'm still finding my feet with the SCal software, so if there is a definite area of the Cal I should check it will help save me some time!

I do get a long tooth gap on the sidebar, but I think that is more a result of the car not starting due to another issue, rather than a sync issue.
davecarroll

Post by davecarroll »

Sorry for the long delay for reply..

Checked cal and turned off anything that looked like it would be set to prevent starting, no change.
I set it to without FP1 input and again no change.

I checked linearisation for the fuel pressure sensor and it seems off. Can anyone advise how to set this up for the titan motorsport 0-150psi sensor?

I have now confirmed crank/cam signals, sync, fuel pumps and pressure (it builds 5bar on priming, and holds it after priming and key off).
I can only assume something in the map is off as I do get a cough every now and then - so a signal is not being received or sent at some point in the system.

One other thing I have noticed is a very low cranking speed during cold weather - around 120rpm even with a healthy battery booster on.
I dropped all the seemingly related parts of the cal to this level (min rpm for 360 sync for example) but no noticeable change. Should I check another part of the Cal?

Thanks
David
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Follow the spec sheet of the sensor for any calibration details.

In the absence of that you can either guess, or test manually for the calibration.

ie get a Mityvac or other device you can apply a known pressure to the sensor and then sort the linearisation that way.
davecarroll

Post by davecarroll »

Small update:

I set the sensor up as it seems it should be, but still no change.

I have now verified no spark or injection - both the coils, and the fuel injectors have been checked as receiving a constant power feed at key on, but no change to a pulse during cranking.
The sync log shows cam and crank signals, synced correctly as above, which means the respective sensors are working OK.
I have also checked the ground system on the car - engine block ground etc all come in at 0 ohms as desired. I will be adding more grounds to ensure key points are grounded correctly, but I don't believe it will fix the issue..
While FP1 reads low, the analogue gauge shows a healthy 5 bar on priming, cranking, and after key off.

Very strong battery was put on the car, resulting in excellent cranking, but syvecs reads rpm as 190rpm (seems low).
Beyond an initial cough, it just cranks with no attempt to start.

As I have no spark and no fuel, I believe it is the ECU not sending out the correct signals, as it appears to be receiving the correct signals.
Could be a result of low cranking speed (although it 'seems' very healthy now), and in need of a new starter motor perhaps or similar.
However, I think perhaps the Cal is the culprit.

Either way, I will hopefully be remote mapping the car again next week - if it fixes the issue I will report back the end result!
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Upload your map.

Cranking speed is good.
davecarroll

Post by davecarroll »

Cal attached - if you see anything obvious will be much appreciated!!

Spec of the car is as follows, if it helps highlight anything out of place:
1000cc Asnu injectors
BW SXE369
titan motorsport 0-150psi sensors for fuel and oil
titan motorsport 3 bar map sensor
2jz gte pre vvti
6 speed manual
264 in/ex cams
Attachments
c16SUP-sw1.57 - 1.5bar - 6466 1100cc Mark E50 finished_modified for startup.SC
(315.02 KiB) Downloaded 679 times