Any issues with this SyncLog?

For Toyota Technical Chat.
davecarroll

Re: Any issues with this SyncLog?

Post by davecarroll »

Hi Tim,

I understand now, in this case, perfect!

My plan is indeed the R8 coils, or possibly Bentley coils, for work reasons, so it seems a simple enough conversion.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

davecarroll wrote:Update:

No spark confirmed - spark plugs (brand new) were black from over fueling, cleaned and dried and refit for a few seconds cranking and they were wet again with fuel - so fuel injection confirmed
Fuel Injection confirmed - OK as above

good spark plug checked for spark and nothing.

I believe it may be the igniter and will be trying one as a test.
If so, the plan is to convert the car to on coil igniter versions (perhaps Audi coils).

I have an understanding of how to do the conversion - until I read the Syvecs pinout manual.
My assumption was I could wire the feed to each coil to the individual ignition outputs on the Syvecs, but the manual states not to do this - would I need to wire something between to prevent damage to the ECU?
Unplug the coil or whatever it is you're using and get a test LED or digital multimeter and measure across the ecu coil triggers and ground. Hopefully you will see a voltage change 0-5v basically switching whilst cranking.
Just in case for some bizarre reason the coil outputs have been harmed.

But yes, fitting any modern pencil type coil ( or many other types ) is very easy and a common modification on a lot of engines. Most of these have built in ignitors generally easy to spot as most will have 4-5 pins. ( although that isnt a generic statement that all 4-5 pin coils are like that )
davecarroll

Post by davecarroll »

stevieturbo wrote:
davecarroll wrote:Update:

No spark confirmed - spark plugs (brand new) were black from over fueling, cleaned and dried and refit for a few seconds cranking and they were wet again with fuel - so fuel injection confirmed
Fuel Injection confirmed - OK as above

good spark plug checked for spark and nothing.

I believe it may be the igniter and will be trying one as a test.
If so, the plan is to convert the car to on coil igniter versions (perhaps Audi coils).

I have an understanding of how to do the conversion - until I read the Syvecs pinout manual.
My assumption was I could wire the feed to each coil to the individual ignition outputs on the Syvecs, but the manual states not to do this - would I need to wire something between to prevent damage to the ECU?
Unplug the coil or whatever it is you're using and get a test LED or digital multimeter and measure across the ecu coil triggers and ground. Hopefully you will see a voltage change 0-5v basically switching whilst cranking.
Just in case for some bizarre reason the coil outputs have been harmed.

But yes, fitting any modern pencil type coil ( or many other types ) is very easy and a common modification on a lot of engines. Most of these have built in ignitors generally easy to spot as most will have 4-5 pins. ( although that isnt a generic statement that all 4-5 pin coils are like that )
Hi Stevie,

I have put a test LED across the coil triggers and found no pulsing with that on cranking. I have not tried with a multimeter and will give that a go too.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

So you tried a suitable LED across the ecu output and ground ?

It'd probably need an LED intended to light at 5v

Multimeter would probably be best anyway....and if need be test the outputs to see if they are capable of working and have not been fried by something
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

I would use a multimeter and Output Testing - just set the base state for the ignition you're checking to be on, and make sure the meter shows 5V at the coilpack. No need to run the engine and all nice and easy and safe.
davecarroll

Post by davecarroll »

TimH wrote:I would use a multimeter and Output Testing - just set the base state for the ignition you're checking to be on, and make sure the meter shows 5V at the coilpack. No need to run the engine and all nice and easy and safe.
Will check this weekend for this.
I have the spare igniter at home now too, which will be checked tonight, if still no luck, the ECU output will be next in line for testing.
TimH
JT Innovations

Post by TimH »

Oh - and unplug the coil you're testing first!
davecarroll

Post by davecarroll »

Well I swapped the ignitors over, cleaned my spark plugs off and it fired up almost straight away. It died after a couple seconds, and will misfire when I try to restart but I would believe this is down to a fuel heavy map now.

I would like to gradually add in fuel from 0 until it starts and runs ok.

What might be the best strategy for altering the fuel (0 to 'acceptable')?

Thanks for all the help so far!
Dave
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

If the ignitors have failed...you need to find out why in case they lead to more damage.

Such items should be very very reliable.